Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

WRX Wagon w/ AUTO trans Qs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 P K

P K

Devil Dog Liaison

• Members
  • 1,171 posts
  • Omicron Persei Diego

Posted 30 October 2003 - 12:47 PM

Hello All.
Need some feedback on the WRX with automatic - sounds blasphemous, but I have an SVT w/5 speed, and I am TIRED of the city commute driving/shifting. SOOooo, I want an auto trans, and I want the wagon for usability.

1. How's the power in the hills - does the trans hunt back and forth betweens gears?

2. How's the back seat for passengers on long trips?

3. How's the Sube stereo w/subwoofer - good enough or pass and get aftermarket?

4. Add a trans cooler (every auto trans could benefit I'm sure)?

thanks, PK

#2 outback_97

outback_97

Eat, Live, Breathe Subaru

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • SLC, UT

Posted 30 October 2003 - 02:09 PM

Something else to consider... the 2.5 TS or OBS. Some people have commented that they like the 2.5 N/A paired with the auto better than the turbo 2.0, but many folks have no problem with the WRX in auto.

We have an auto TS, and it's just fine for mountain driving. The back seat is small but comfortable, better than many small cars, but tighter than midsize or large cars. We have added fog lights and WRX wheels for a grand total of $350. No hood scoop or spoiler though.

Sorry I can't answer your second two questions... we have the OEM head unit and aftermarket speakers... this setup is OK but not great. Most people say the sub is a little better than nothing, but not enough if you're into powerful low end.

Trans cooler? Don't know much about that. Are you towing with the car?

Steve

#3 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,566 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 30 October 2003 - 09:15 PM

You may want to check out www.nasioc.com there's a bunch more WRX owners there. There are some autos.

Yeah i'd probably recommend trans cooler.

#4 DerFahrer

DerFahrer

Formerly subyluvr2212

• Members
  • 2,411 posts
  • Orlando, FL

Posted 30 October 2003 - 11:17 PM

I don't think I will EVER get tired of driving a MT everyday, but anyway... I have heard numerous reports that the EJ20T and 4EAT are so wrong for each other, nothing but gear-hunting and long periods of off-boost situations... Otherwise, yes I'm sure it could benefit from a tranny cooler...

#5 wrxsubaru

wrxsubaru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • Seattle Washington US

Posted 30 October 2003 - 11:52 PM

when my dad test frove a auto wagon, only wrx the dealer had left,(when the WRX was newer) The trannie had to much lag you would floor it, then wait for the down shift, then the boost the car felt alot slower and and it was never ready for a quick pass, it would be probley 2 secs before you could get some power in a lower gear.
Latter My dad test drove a manule WRX and it felt alot faster, seemed to have half the lag of the auto, and if you floored it you would just wait for boost, not the trannie to shift then boost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users