Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1974 coupe in yard in WV

:rolleyes: There's a complete 1974 DL 1400 (or 1200) coupe sitting in a junkyard in Shanghai, WV. It's one of those with the Landau roof that's since been torn off. Decal on side say's FWD and it's a 4 spd. Original baby blue paint with fragments of the dark blue landau. Bumper's bent in front and rust around the strut towers, but resorable in my opinion. Old timer that owns the yard says, 'it ran real well last he tried it about 10 years back.:confused:

any possibility that you might be able to go back and snap a couple pics? i bet paul or andrew or i might be interested. thanks

Jon

Yes, but it might be a few days.

Not sure whether to call it a 2 door sedan, or a coupe. It's the type with 2 headlights, not 4 like the GRS coupe. (Or was the GRS the same body with round fog lights added??) All i know is it's complete and pretty original from what i can tell.:banana:

doesn`t look too bad really, but it seems like $100-200 would be a fair price for it. i wonder how it looks underneath. thanks for posting it Elroy!! hopefully someone can rescue it or parts from it.

is that a gen one wagon a few cars down from it? the red one?

doesn`t look too bad really, but it seems like $100-200 would be a fair price for it. i wonder how it looks underneath. thanks for posting it Elroy!! hopefully someone can rescue it or parts from it.

This is the only Sube in the yard. That may be a Datsun 510??:eek:

Didn't get a look underneath- lots of poison ivy and sticker bushes around the car. The floorboards are holding on because of what's left of the carpet. Otherwise the car appears sound- don't know about the subframes??:confused:

Wayne

i wish i could save it, but with that much rust, it probly would be impractical for a guy like me to attempt a resto like that. :-\ i bet the motor is still good though

Mr. Elwood said it ran well the last time he tried to start it. But, that was about 10 years ago or so.:-\

What ashame! He put a good running car out to pasture to rust.

Someone should at least strip it down.

Rare things that come to mind:

Heater box/core

Speedo cluster

Wiper linkage

Door handles exterior

Dash parts

Todd

At his price it'll rust away to nothing.At that point he loses....actually,it's past that point.He lost.

That car isn't worth $400 or anything close to it.

THere's seemingly no interest in these cars anywhere near WV,so I don't know who's going to go out of their way for this one.

I'll consider somehow stopping by if we can when we go on our little vacations this year,but it's kind of far out of the way for most of us with the older 70's Subarus.

Most I think I'd offer is somethnig like $100 for anything I can walk out with (not just one trip to the car).

If someone else goes by there check the "Wish List" thread,print it,and please consider making some money while helping someone out. :) :)

I could use these parts assuming they're not cracking,pitted,chipped,etc.:

Side mirror

Air cleaner box complete

Radiator if not corroded with overflow bottle shown

Any good pieces of any windshield trim front or back

Alternator AND brackets

Steering wheel w/horn pad-cover

Might consider some other parts from the interior.

Elroy,if you're interested email or PM me and we'll talk.Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I lied:-\

Went back for the wheel covers for Bryan and sure enough it's a gen 1 wagon. 79' maybe with 4WD. Elwood says the gas tank is gone and the engine is partly dismantled. :-\ Has black checkered interior, if that tells what year it would be. Had to knock down a cherry tree to get to it. The body looks straight and solid. Front grill ornament is crumbling. Has 4 headlights, not 2. Has dual range stick and 4 speed stick.:cool:

Wayne

• 6 months later...

I know this a old post but could you still get parts off this 74? I could use both tail lights, the black plastic piece that holds the licence Plate lights, the trunk lid, if it is not rusted out, steering wheel and all the side marker lights if they are not broken. If you can't get parts I have a good friend that lives in Gerrardstown WV. He does not know anything about cars but I may be able to convince him to go get the parts for me. Got the address of the junkyard? My 76 DL sedan could sure use these parts. Let me know either way. Thanks, Richard.

Here are some pix:

1974 DL Coupe pix

Mr. Elwood want $400 :confused:

304-764-3648 :)