Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello everyone

On the 95 impreza 5MT, I have got a grinding noise from the transmission. I have removed the plastic boot from the stick and it is now very loud. It is loudest in 3,4,5. When I was up north the whole last winter with temps around –35, it was already noticeable in 1 and 2, but not in 3,4,5. I can influence the sound a bit (higher/lower pitch) when pushing the stick left or right when in gear. Its at all speeds and doesn’t change when pushing the clutch. I went under the car, the transmission on the left side in the rear half is full of oil. I have no idea where this is coming from. The transmission oil has been changed a few weeks back. Anyboy an idea?

I would be suspect that your tranny fluid level is low, or as suggested, the thing is on its way out. Before you panic, let me share what I found on another site several years ago. The TwinTurbo.net site is for Nissan 300zx's from 90 to 96. It is very common for these cars to develop noisy and hard shifting trannies as the miles pile up. The guys on this forum swear by a tranny fluid called RedLine MT90. When the tranny fluid was replaced with this product, hard shifting, grinding while shifting, and noisy tranny problems either disappeared entirely, or were dramatically reduced. I don't sell the stuff, and I haven't put it in my 300zx (mileage is super low and no tranny issues as yet) but I did put it in my 1954 MG TF, and it dramatically changed the personality of the 52 year old transmission. It is noticeably quieter, and much easier to shift, even with its old technology. The stuff isn't cheap, and can be hard to find, usually at speed shops. It might resurrect your ride. Good Luck!

I would be suspect that your tranny fluid level is low, or as suggested, the thing is on its way out. Before you panic, let me share what I found on another site several years ago. The TwinTurbo.net site is for Nissan 300zx's from 90 to 96. It is very common for these cars to develop noisy and hard shifting trannies as the miles pile up. The guys on this forum swear by a tranny fluid called RedLine MT90. When the tranny fluid was replaced with this product, hard shifting, grinding while shifting, and noisy tranny problems either disappeared entirely, or were dramatically reduced. I don't sell the stuff, and I haven't put it in my 300zx (mileage is super low and no tranny issues as yet) but I did put it in my 1954 MG TF, and it dramatically changed the personality of the 52 year old transmission. It is noticeably quieter, and much easier to shift, even with its old technology. The stuff isn't cheap, and can be hard to find, usually at speed shops. It might resurrect your ride. Good Luck!

what he said. First off slow down your shifting a bit and that will help. Secondly learn how to double clutch. Your synchros are tired and worn. Double clutching will save the gears from excessive wear. Your synchros are maybe toast, but as long as your not poping out of gears the tranny is useable.

nipper

Are you 100% sure its grinding sound? Might be just bad case of shifter rattle. I don't see how a grinding sound from transmission could be affected by touching the shifter lever.

SUbarus have great shifters, notchy, but from an engineering point of veiw, great solid mechanics. He can be affecting the synchros in the tranny, since almost everything is always spinning in the tranny.

Thats a good question though, i missed that.

Is it a rattle or a grind?

nipper