Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 4spd to EA82 5spd swap roll call...

Ok guys, who's done the swap? Jibs is doing it to his brat and we're having some problems bolting the shifter up to the body. We got the EA82 shifter and all, using jerry's kit. There doesnt seem to be any holes in the body to bolt the shifter mount to.

What did you guys come up with?

-Brian

When I put one in my Brat, the only problem I had was the shifting mechanism - the plate on it - was a bit short, so I had to fab a short extension. Other than that, it went very smoothly. A slight mod to the shifter itself to improve the throw, but that was merely a preference of mine.

The way I've done it is to drop a longish bolt with a large washer through the floor in the tranny tunnel. Then use some spacers (washers, those thick guys from under the alternator mounting plate, etc) to get the shift mechanism level. Has worked fine on the ones I've worked on.

GD

basically what I did with mine.

I've done the EA82T and 5 Speed constant AWD into my EA81 Brumby, i have no problem with gear shifters or fitting.. short of drilling one hole to mount the rear rubber mount from the gearbox and elongating the holes in the transmission mounts. The only other issue was the front chassis rails and cross member, just a little mod there really.

I wonder if the 3 inch lift i have ironed some problem out for me?

I'm about to start mine, I'm doing a lot of custom work anyways, so I'm fabbing everything. I'll probably cut out the interferance areas of the tunnel and weld in new pieces.

It'll be nice to drive with intact synchros.

I know for a hatch the driveshaft has to be 46", but I am doing the t-case mod, so I won't be using that. I'm just trying to figure out how much this thing is going to hang under the car, maybe I'll do a higher center stack with cable-operated 4x4 linkage to tuck it basically up between the seats. Just have to relocate the parking brake control.

• 2 years later...

yep , drilled a hole,cut a piece of 1/2x1/2 tubing to put in there with a long bolt and it worked out fine.beware though,the longer the bolt the more apt you are to have "play" in that mount.short and fat spacer is my vote for the next time i do this,to help with stability at that mount.

i actually had to pull over just before white pass one time due to slop,and realized the nut had loosened considerably,even though it was a nylock!i attributed it tothe mount not being stout enough due to the spacer.

i never had a problem again,but also never changed the mount either.

i will be doing it a little different this time.

and jibs,you can make two little "L" brackets to bolt to your tunnel for the driveshaft.i did it and never had any problems.of course you want to use bullet proof fasteners,but i just measured from side to side to get it as centered as possible and had very little whine or vibration.

as a matter of fact i think i used pieces of an old bedframe.:lol:worked well though.cheers, brian

and jibs,you can make two little "L" brackets to bolt to your tunnel for the driveshaft.i did it and never had any problems.of course you want to use bullet proof fasteners,but i just measured from side to side to get it as centered as possible and had very little whine or vibration.

:grin: The "jibs" portion of this thread is from 2006 :)

• 5 months later...

I just picked up a 5spd D/R from upullit so my hatch is getting the conversion...My 3rd gear syncro is shot on the 4spdD/R(as it was when I got the car...) .

I looks like I can reuse my ea81 flywheel until I do the EJ swap.

Spacing of the starter 4/6mm back with washers.

My driveline cut to 48" tube only

Will the clutch cable work ok ?

My ea81 is 36.25" long and the Ea82 is 33.4"

Also is the speedo drive on the Ea81 trans the same as the Ea82 ?

Other than the shift linkage mount is there anything else to modify?

I just picked up a 5spd D/R from upullit so my hatch is getting the conversion...My 3rd gear syncro is shot on the 4spdD/R(as it was when I got the car...) .

I looks like I can reuse my ea81 flywheel until I do the EJ swap.

Spacing of the starter 4/6mm back with washers.

My driveline cut to 48" tube only

(sounds about right. I think mine was around 53" cap to cap, lengthened)

Will the clutch cable work ok ?

My ea81 is 36.25" long and the Ea82 is 33.4"

yes, keep the ea81 cable. the mounts under the dash are different....

Also is the speedo drive on the Ea81 trans the same as the Ea82 ?

Yes, Same.... though the rubber sealing washer is located differently... I think to get the best fit, I removed the rubber washer on mine.... if you have a chance to look at both, you will see the difference... but the ea82 speedo cable should work in yours fine.

Other than the shift linkage mount is there anything else to modify?

Are you using Jerry's kit for the trans mounts? if not, you will need to drill a hole into your ea81 mounts and put them on the ea82 trans....

Are you using Jerry's kit for the trans mounts? if not, you will need to drill a hole into your ea81 mounts and put them on the ea82 trans....

what's this "Jerry's kit" I keep hearing about? can somebody link me to it?

sounds like I'll need the help of a pro to do the 5-speed swap...

thanks!

what's this "Jerry's kit" I keep hearing about? can somebody link me to it?

sounds like I'll need the help of a pro to do the 5-speed swap...

thanks!

Jerry (Bratsrus) makes or used to make a kit that allowed for usage of the ea81 shifters so the interior looks stock, and it allows for use of the better ea82 tranny mounts...

:grin: The "jibs" portion of this thread is from 2006 :)

Yeah, I was like "What Brian's helping me put a tranny in my car what?" SWEET!:lol: Yeah I just drilled a hole, used a spacer, and found a bolt. easy enough.

The onlt things to watch for when getting a kit from Jerry - make sure the shift linkages you send him are from an 83+. Apparently they're different than an 82. And make sure you have the flywheel from an 83+ as well, its bigger than an 82's.:)

Yeah, I was like "What Brian's helping me put a tranny in my car what?" SWEET!:lol: Yeah I just drilled a hole, used a spacer, and found a bolt. easy enough

Jibs I remember when We did this... at your sisters place :lol:

Jerrys kit made the job painless. Its really worth every penny!

• 2 weeks later...

So whats the deal with the driveshaft? I hear one could put the longer ea82 driveshaft in your ea81 long platform vehicle without modification as long as you mount the carrier bearing. Am I searching wrong?

So whats the deal with the driveshaft? I hear one could put the longer ea82 driveshaft in your ea81 long platform vehicle without modification as long as you mount the carrier bearing. Am I searching wrong?

that is correct....