Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Please help Me ID this Clutch Cable [Pic]

I'm having trouble finding the correct replacement for my old clutch cable.

The reason that I don't know the part # I need is that my car was originally a 3SPD and had the '87(?) D/R when I got it. If someone knows EA clutch cables, I could use your expertise . . . I think that it may be an EA81 model cable, but seem irregularly long. .

Clutch_Cable.jpg

The part that I'm looking for has the pedal end (left side of pic) designed to be held not by bolts, but rather by a metal band that is held by one screw and sits over the cable.

If someone can identify the specific model this is from or the part numer, that would really help me out! I think the overall length is ~35" (Napa had similar ones in the comp. that were like 10"s too short. . .)

That's an EA81 cable for like 80-83.5, after that they changed the pedal end to a spring clip like the clutch fork side. There shouldn't be any real difference in the length of the two EA81 type cables. DO NOT buy an aftermarket cable - they are inferior, and the OEM one is only like $12.

Get a cable for an 82 GL and you should be good.

GD

I remember doing my clutch cable not too long ago. I also remember having a really had time with the connections @ the petal being different than what I read in the book... not to mention the tight squeeze of getting my head & shoulders in there ...

I'll try & rack my brain ... seems to me there was a spring-clip rather than a cotter pin, or something like that ... the rest went fairly well - took maybe 2 hours WITH the trip to the hardware store for another clip.

Mine is an aftermarket ... so far so good, but like I say - less than 2 months ago... (gulp).

After getting an $11 key copied and a $18 fusible link from the dealer, I didn't even ask about the clutch cable ...

Thanks GD! That's a great write-up w/ pics, and explains to me why the '84 cable that I saw in the napa database looked a little off.

I think the (incorrect) cable I got at napa was ~$25, do you know off hand what the OEM part costs?

Thanks GD! That's a great write-up w/ pics, and explains to me why the '84 cable that I saw in the napa database looked a little off.

I think the (incorrect) cable I got at napa was ~$25, do you know off hand what the OEM part costs?

I think last time I got one it was about $13.... wholesale (my local dealer rocks!), I think retail is around $17 or maybe a bit more. Depends on the dealer really.

GD

I'm a lazy bum, and haven't got around to doing many - that one, and the axle cup mod ( http://home.comcast.net/~trilinear/axle_rebuilding.html ) are really the only two I have done to date. I plan on doing an axle removal/replacement one, and I really should do something on the rear discs.... but I need to shoot video for that one. Also about to embark on EA81 SPFI, but I went and cut the wrong tab off the disty I modded :rolleyes:. My Brat sits patiently waiting for the 100 degree heat to pass.

Really I should take pictures anytime I'm out there - plenty of write ups I *could* do if I quit my job and dumped my girlfriend.... really need to start on the t-case w/custom long travel suspension. All in time I suppose. For now feel free to PM me - I'll help as best I can.

GD