Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Electrical Difficulties

Walked out to my XT Turbo this morning, battery was dead as a door knob. Voltmeter registered 0.57V on it, so I was walking to school.

I get home, have a friend help jumpstart it, and it ran. Then after about 20 seconds, start noticed some smoke come out from underneath the black fusible link. Turned the car off. The alternator was burning to the touch. Had the alternator tested at Checker, and it turned out fine.

So, now I have to figure out the problem. Any ideas? I'm about to go through, and cut up the loom coming from the fusible link and look for shorts.

Help!

These have an internal volt. reg, right?

I'd say to disconnect your pos. batt. cable and use a multimeter and check the line going from your alt. output to the fusible link for continuity (Don't know WHICH fusible link it is, but should be one of the 3 or 4 you in the box there, or you could just check to the battery terminal too...). Also check the exciter line to the batt. That would tell you if the lines are good. Then check the same line to ground, and that would tell you if it's shorting on a ground line. After that checking the harness might be your only bet.

You also might be able to use the voltmeter functionality with the battery hooked up to see if it's picking up any voltage with the motor not running and the ignition set to 'on'.

• Like 1

I have an 85 XT Supplement (am waiting on the rest of the 85 manual).

I've attached the diagram from it. Its labeled FL-4

Needless to say, it goes to a LOT. These are the fuses it hits:

1- Heater

2- Heater

3- Stop Room

4- Parking

9- Charge

10- Back Turn

11- Ig-coil Fuel EGI-IG

12- Fuel Gauge, Temp Gauge

13- Radio

14- Cigar Mirror

15- Rad Fan

16- Wiper

17- R-Def

20- Cruise Cont.

*yikes* I've got my work cut out for me

fusible_link.jpg

Walked out to my XT Turbo this morning, battery was dead as a door knob. Voltmeter registered 0.57V on it, so I was walking to school.

I get home, have a friend help jumpstart it, and it ran. Then after about 20 seconds, start noticed some smoke come out from underneath the black fusible link. Turned the car off. The alternator was burning to the touch. Had the alternator tested at Checker, and it turned out fine.

So, now I have to figure out the problem. Any ideas? I'm about to go through, and cut up the loom coming from the fusible link and look for shorts.

Help!

DO the simplest thing first. I suspect the altenator is shorted out. Disconnect the altenator, get a fully charged battery, and start the car. Make sure all the alt connections are wrapped in electricla tape.

If You still have a problem, then you have your work cut out for you.

nipper