Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi,

I've been having this problem, with my 02 LL Bean now since I got it, it doesnt like to downshift into a lower gear when you floor it unless you do it extremely fast almost instant flooring of the gas pedal and it'll pick up a lower gear, it will NEVER shift down into 1st after it shifts out of it no matter how hard/fast you floor it. You could be going 10 mph and it absolutely will not pick up first no matter what, just lags in second. I dont intend to drive it like speed racer but I do like to have the power there when its needed and it just isnt, I've also noticed that from a light if you hold the pedal to the floor it will not go above 5500 rpm no matter what, if you shift it manually it will go right to 6500. This is also a bit frustrating especially when trying to pass someone and that high end torque of that 3.0 is needed.

I used to work at a stealership and I would PDI these things all the time and on the road test every single one of them when floored with right to 6500 without skipping a beat, Any ideas on what is wrong with mine? 91,000 miles, no codes or anything.

Thanks

Hi,

I've been having this problem, with my 02 LL Bean now since I got it, it doesnt like to downshift into a lower gear when you floor it unless you do it extremely fast almost instant flooring of the gas pedal and it'll pick up a lower gear, it will NEVER shift down into 1st after it shifts out of it no matter how hard/fast you floor it. You could be going 10 mph and it absolutely will not pick up first no matter what, just lags in second. I dont intend to drive it like speed racer but I do like to have the power there when its needed and it just isnt, I've also noticed that from a light if you hold the pedal to the floor it will not go above 5500 rpm no matter what, if you shift it manually it will go right to 6500. This is also a bit frustrating especially when trying to pass someone and that high end torque of that 3.0 is needed.

I used to work at a stealership and I would PDI these things all the time and on the road test every single one of them when floored with right to 6500 without skipping a beat, Any ideas on what is wrong with mine? 91,000 miles, no codes or anything.

Thanks

Is it possible that you have a bad TPS sensor? For the others, the tranny works off govenor pressure vs throttle pressure. Today thats vss sensor vs TPS sensor (and other various sensors adding thier two cents).

What happens if you shift it manually?

nipper

I have pulled and cleaned the TPS with no change in behavior as far as shifting goes. I was thinking if the TPS was bad it would throw a code, i'm getting none and the tranny shifts perfectly smooth just isnt responsive.

If I shift the car manually it runs right up to 6500 when the rev limiter kicks in, If im lagging it in 2nd expecting it to downshift into 1st (it never does) I shift it into 1 and it picks up 1st and takes off. What gives?

I have pulled and cleaned the TPS with no change in behavior as far as shifting goes. I was thinking if the TPS was bad it would throw a code, i'm getting none and the tranny shifts perfectly smooth just isnt responsive.

If I shift the car manually it runs right up to 6500 when the rev limiter kicks in, If im lagging it in 2nd expecting it to downshift into 1st (it never does) I shift it into 1 and it picks up 1st and takes off. What gives?

OK so we have determined mechanically the tranny is fine, that this is a electronic issue.

The TPS may not throw a code for the tranny issue. How is the dropping reisitor, that seems to be sulprit sometimes.

This is hard to do without a mnaul infront of me. Whats your email, i have something that somone gave me that i want to send you, its a pdf file.

nipper