Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Putting an EA81 hatch on a frame

Sarge

Hey sarge This is Jerry, yes i am doing a suzuki sammy frame on my hatch now. I had to add 13 inches in it and the sammy frame fits inside of the subaru frame. I am hoping to have it all done for the show this year, it's going to wild. Thanks Jerry

How do ya get the steering to match up? I would assume the only thing Roo you are using is the body and possibly interior... I think I'm gonna go with a Jeep frame, Anyone have any clue which model Jeep is the closest?

Hey sarge This is Jerry, yes i am doing a suzuki sammy frame on my hatch now. I had to add 13 inches in it and the sammy frame fits inside of the subaru frame. I am hoping to have it all done for the show this year, it's going to wild. Thanks Jerry

That sounds awesome!:)

i bet a 70s cj jeep frame would be close, the wranglers would brobly be too big.

how about a geo tracker frame? i hear those 1.6's they have in those, with a 5speed d/r is pretty bulletproof. plus it would be good on gas. those trackers have a solid rear axle and manual front lock in hubs with independent axles. just a thought....

I know I am revealing my ignorance here... but what is d/r ?

I really want to use a Jeep frame cuz of the extensive off road market for them. My goal is pretty much build a monster Jeep with a subaru body and some of my own custom add-ons. :headbang:

what about toyota frame? they are real strong if not rusty and have one of the better drivetrains. seen complete, solid trucks non running in the 300-400 range.

might be easiest to just relocate the rear axle to suit the body?

a wagon would be pretty sweet on a toyota frame.

is it easy to keep the body low or do you have to like cut out the trans tunnel?

I searched this topic and couldn't turn anything up or I wouldn't have asked.

So with the wheel bases you are sayin that a YJ and TJ are pretty darn close to a hatch? I plan on body dropping the hatch on the frame and loading up the suspension. I don't know about the tranny tunnel.

Hey Sarge This is Jerry, the clostest i have found to match up with the subaru is a sammy frame. It fits inside of the subaru unibody and just add 13 inches to the middle of the frame and it fits. The jeep frame is close on wheel base but it is to wide. Come to the show and you will see my hatchbrat. I am useing sammy frame with rear end and front end and transfer case and sammy steering. Then i am useing the subaru engine with the 5 speed DR tranny. The after market has a lot of off road sammy stuff. Come to the show and see it. Thanks Jerry

Yeah, I'd like to go to the show, but it probably won't be this year. I am in school at Nashville Auto-Diesel College and I will be here until October. When you lengthen the Sammy frame, what drive shaft do you use? won't that make the sammy shaft too short? Any idea how much too wide the jeep frame is?

There are these shops that can extend or shorten your drive shafts. A job like this will require ALOT of custom work, so you will have alot more to worry about than just driveshafts.

-Brian

The plan was to chop everything off the Roo from the firewall forward. mount the Roo on the frame. Tube frame the front end and hang sheetmetal when all is done. My main concerns were driveshaft, steering, pedals, tranny tunnel. what else do you have to add to my list of worries?

the jeep frame is 66.7 inches,the hatch is 63.8 inches.jerry may think the frame is to wide because of where the frame would match up....but i think it would work.i want the extra width anyway.the driveshaft is a cakewalk.....your concerns right now need to be centering that body,making sure that a stuffed suspension is not going to mash up your rear 1/4 panels.cause were talkin mad flex for such a light body,even on stock springs.

Yeah, I'd like to go to the show, but it probably won't be this year. I am in school at Nashville Auto-Diesel College and I will be here until October. When you lengthen the Sammy frame, what drive shaft do you use? won't that make the sammy shaft too short? Any idea how much too wide the jeep frame is?

Hey Guys This is Jerry, the sammy frame fits inside of the subaru unibody i didn't cut anything off of the subaru. When i am done with this set up if i want to i can go back stock with the subaru running gear. The pedales are all stock the steering i am useing the sammy. The only mod i will have to the body is a hole for the transfer box shifter and brackets welded to the unibody frame to hold the body to the frame. The rear drive line will be stock sammy ans the front i will have to lengthen and the center drive line i will have to lengthen. Hey sarge jump on the gray dog and join us at the show. Thanks Jerry

I wish I could, man that would be awesome. But as of now, I have perfect attendance... that may seem cheap, but that is what employers look at.

anyway, I don't mind the choppin' and as long as the jeep frame ain't wider than the actual car.... I'll make the neccessary sacrifices to do it, Since I was 13 I've always wanted a Subaru 4.0L with like 36"s. And about the suspension, I have that under control. It's a secret recipe one of my buddies uses and I don't want to let it out until I know if it works on the Jeep-a-Roo.