Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Subaru engined Trike.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 longboarder

longboarder

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Windsor. UK

Posted 20 June 2006 - 02:11 AM

Here's a couple of pic's of my EA81 engined Trike.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 mikie

mikie

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • New Zealand

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:15 AM

Thats rather cool! Im not a trike person i admit, but that is nice.

#3 backwoodsboy

backwoodsboy

vintagesubaruparts

• Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • upstate NY, in the woods

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:06 AM

WOW thats beautiful!!!:slobber: Can I have the motor?!:grin:

#4 ben--ny

ben--ny

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • ny

Posted 20 June 2006 - 07:07 AM

thats great :clap:

#5 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:30 PM

I take it that that the motor is bolted to a vw tranny/irs then? I like it, but the stock sube aircleaner needs to go, it doesnt look the part :)

#6 backwoodsboy

backwoodsboy

vintagesubaruparts

• Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • upstate NY, in the woods

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:57 PM

I take it that that the motor is bolted to a vw tranny/irs then? I like it, but the stock sube aircleaner needs to go, it doesnt look the part :)

I was gonna say that was the coolest part:banana:

#7 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 20 June 2006 - 04:30 PM

It's fairly obvious that whoever made that, wanted the Subaru left on!

It would have been so easy to get rid of it and yet it is
painted and highlighed!

Someone wanted to make a Subie Statement!
I think they did a good job!

#8 longboarder

longboarder

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Windsor. UK

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:06 AM

Cheers for the positive comments, Yep it's mated to a Beetle transaxle with an adaptor plate etc.
One of the main reasons the stock air filter was left with the subaru badge on it, was to let people know what it is, I got fed up with people saying it was VW.
Although i am now looking at getting the weber conversion with filter, so will then look at having the subaru logo painted on each side of the tank.

Cheers Dom.

#9 Mudboat

Mudboat

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • New Orleans

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:22 AM

What bike did the front end come from? And is the frame your own design, a kit or a manufactured frame?

Beautiful trike...

#10 benstrike

benstrike

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Phoexnix

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:27 PM

I'm having a trike built with a Subaru engine instead of a VW 1776 or 2015 that will be mated to a VW transaxle automatic. Looking recommendations and or pit falls. I live in Phoenix Arizona and concerned about over heating during the summer months which can and does reach 110 degrees F. Would like to hear about positioning the radiator in front or behind the engine?
Thanks

#11 stumpy

stumpy

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Bridal Veil

Posted 04 July 2006 - 01:54 AM

Awsome job on the build!:headbang:
I'm impressed on how good it looks with no body! Sweet!!:banana:

Looking to do one my self (When funds permit) but with the ej22/4eat set up.
What part of the UK are you in. I have relatives in Nottingham who started the 10th ISP in the UK. Stumpy

#12 elmwood22

elmwood22

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • Deerwood

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:32 AM

Is it AWD??? ;) That is a sweet machine.

#13 tboned

tboned

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • San Diego

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

so... do you spray paint another oil filter every time you change the oil? or did you do a whole batch of them all at once? lol

#14 cawain

cawain

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Rolla, Mo

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:19 PM

Hi, Carl here. Put your radiator in the front of the engine. I have mine in the back and It will start heating at about 65 mph. I have an extra fan that I can run all the time when it is too hot. If you are running 50 to 55 the automatic thermostate fan will hold the temp in check, but any faster and the temp comes up. The outside temp don't seem to have a great effect on the temp. I am sure what is happening is the air flow through the radiator and the air flow over and around the trike is creating a vacume at the rear of the trike and preventing the air flow through the radiator. I only run around 60 to 70 anyway so the extra cooling fan works well. I would also say I had a special radiator built with 4 cores and it made no difference. Some day I may change it and put the radiator in the front. when I build my next one I will put 2 goldwing radiators in the front on each side of the pass seat. Oh, And by the way, I really do enjoy my Vee DubAru.
Just my 2bits worth. Hope it helps, Enjoy, Carl

#15 tweety

tweety

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Euroa Victoria Australia

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

Well done. Nice and neat. I have an ea81 Brat/Brumby engine in my PANTHER (Aust)trike. With VW automatic. I have an electronic distributor, weber 32/36 carb, iridium spark plugs, 8.8mm plug leads etc. Am about to fabricate mounts to install a Toyota SC12 supercharger.

I had a MR2 Toyota radiator mounted above the transaxle. It had 2 thermatic fans. It also had air vents carved into the body to get air in there. No matter what the fans would still come on at speed as there is a vacuum at the rear of the trike.

Recently I changed radiators to a smaller one from an Alfasud 1984-1990 model. It fitted better up the front. 32mm stainless steel tubes to carry the coolant and a larger than common thermostat 180 degrees so the coolant circulates better. A Hyundau expansion tank also. I also fitted a Husdsons instrument temperature switch in the usual temp sedner location and this has a truck reversing alarm on it so it goes off at 95 degrees C or 200F.

The large brake pedal required extensions and made them adjustable for my wife's short legs. The Subie engine performs overall better than the 1916 VW, revs easier, much more economical and remains compact and simple. Simplicity was a need of mine.

The supercharger will be a draw through set up with Dellorto or SU carb. Will plan for 6 psi boost. Should end up with 25% more power up from 75hp to 100 and up the torque by 30% at 2000 rpm instead of 2400rpm.

Smokey from Victoria Australia

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

more to come

Edited by tweety, 16 May 2012 - 07:17 AM.

#16 tweety

tweety

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:14 AM

continued

Posted Image

Forget the radiator at the back. I moved it later.

Posted Image

Posted Image

A supercharger set up like this is planned. Might get a intake off an ea82 which is larger.

Posted Image

I'd like a little more power for towing

Posted Image

see it perform at www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXwh4z8d66o

#17 Cyfun

Cyfun

Mud Baby

• Members
  • 410 posts
  • Billings, MT

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:13 PM

Wow, way to resurrect a 6 year old thread. xD

But nice trike, tweety, I dig the inline fighter-jet style seating.

#18 tweety

tweety

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

Thanks CYFUN

The radiator at the front is the best way to go especially if you live in cooler climate and like heated legs.

I have almost completed the addition of the supercharger, a SC12 in a draw through set up. Best to view that instal at :

http://www.ausubaru....ead.php?t=21661

regards Smokey

Posted Image

Posted Image

#19 Subaruist

Subaruist

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 186 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 23 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

I have to wonder, I have to know, I don't see much discussion on the performance on a Trike using a Subaru Engine Vs. a VW engine. Assuming that one used a regular\older EA81 engine without a super-charger or turbo, how much better is/would be the performance/speed/torque, etc. ??? I assume better, but how much of a difference?

I cannot disagree with putting a super charger on it, but Crimony! Just being a light-weight trike, that thing must have plenty of power! Can you actually punch it and  push it to its limit safely? I mean, I would think you would have trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground! lol...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users