Ultimate Subaru Message Board

like the title says I seem to get bubbles on my dipstick when i check my transmission fluid. this all started after changing the fluid :rolleyes:.

I thought it was from over filling the transmission so I slowly let out fluid to see if it would get better, however it seemed to only make the bubbles bigger so i'm wondering if i didn't add enough fluid or if their is something else wrong :confused:

the car is a 93 legacy automatic awd.

like the title says I seem to get bubbles on my dipstick when i check my transmission fluid. this all started after changing the fluid :rolleyes:.

I thought it was from over filling the transmission so I slowly let out fluid to see if it would get better, however it seemed to only make the bubbles bigger so i'm wondering if i didn't add enough fluid or if their is something else wrong :confused:

the car is a 93 legacy automatic awd.

how exaclty are you checking the fluid level

nipper

Nipper asks a good question. For a link to Subaru info on the proper procedure, and some comments of my own, see http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=479136

By the way, what fluid did you use?

I drove the car around then put it into all the gears and then into park with the engine running and opened the hood and pulled the dip stick out noticed the bubbles then wiped it super clean and put it back in and pulled it out, putting the dip stick in light to see that it is at the right mark. if anything i think its on the low side. when i check with the engine off the fluid comes up way pass the full mark.

i used dexron III/mercon couldn't find dexron II.

~Steven

I drove the car around then put it into all the gears and then into park with the engine running and opened the hood and pulled the dip stick out noticed the bubbles then wiped it super clean and put it back in and pulled it out, putting the dip stick in light to see that it is at the right mark. if anything i think its on the low side. when i check with the engine off the fluid comes up way pass the full mark.

i used dexron III/mercon couldn't find dexron II.

~Steven

Assuming that you're driving enough to sufficiently warm the fluid, and that the dipstick is being fully inserted, it seems that you're checking the level correctly. In my experience, you may have to insert, clean, and reinsert the dipstick a few times to eliminate fluid on the dipstick tube wall causing an inaccurate reading. Dexron III/Mercon should be compatible with Dexron II.

It isn't just overfilling that can cause air bubbles in ATF. The level may still be too low, and if so, air can be picked up along with the fluid. The aerated fluid will then have a greater volume (although part will be air), and appear to be at the correct level on the dipstick. Since you previously said that lowering the level made the bubbles worse, and that the level now still seems to be a bit low, that would appear to verify that the level is indeed low.

I'd add some more fluid, until the level is at the correct mark, drive a bit, and recheck the level and for bubbles. It may take a while for the air to work its way out. Recheck the level tomorrow, and add fluid again if it is at all low on the dipstick.