Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear spring up grade 4 cheap!

ok heres how it went. the rear of the wagon would sag under any kind of load. I found out about king springs and some others out of AU. cool stuff but a bit much in shipping ect.

so on my junk yard excursion the other day I noticed that front springs on a 88 accord hatch looked about the same. I poped them off and eyeballed it against a sube.

picked em up for 37$ and installed them today on the rear of my wagon.

they fit perfect!:banana:

it lifted the rear a few inches. if you dont mind a raked sube it is frickin great. it rides nice still but will hopefully handle a load a bit better. ok time to celibrate:drunk:

Yep - you can correct the camber after a lift by pushing the strut tops in a little:

http://usmb.net/gallery/albuo72

My camber is perfectly flat, and I think the car handles better than it did before the lift. Of course this is a custom lift, and I have no idea if this would work on a PK lift - maybe he can answer.

Certainly a LOT easier than fabbing longer control arms......

GD

unfortunately I dont have a means of posting pics but if I can hook up with stormtrooper aka Don mabey we can get them posted.

yeah I was prepared for a little honda bashing. It was just too cool and easy not to share with the group. :D

going to take it for a better test drive today to get the feel for it.

the lift height is aprox 2 to 4 inches. its hard to tell because I had a spacer under the stock spring to boost it up a little before the swap. this was not intended to be a lift but it just hapend to turn out this way.

I am thinking of a combination stress bar/camber adjustment for non lifted cars next. seems how the discussion went that way.

• 4 months later...

Rallyruss, your a damn genius!! I've been having trouble hauling bags of fire pellets home in my Loyale. I can get about 10, 40 pound bags in the back and I'm riding on the stops. Makes the car handle really poorly. I installed coils out of a 87 accord and WHOA!! I hauled home 20 bags of pellets, around 800 pounds and I still had a few inches of travel in the suspension. Here is a pic of my newly raised-beefed up Loyale. Picture really does not show the difference. But its better then nothing!

Thanks again! :D

lift.jpg

well Im no genius. thats for sure. :o

I am glad someone else finally tried it. I thought this was a great thing that we all should have the option of doing. I am still really happy with mine.

I spread the word in multiple posts so its out there if people want the info.

they fit perfect huh?;)

Ok, I'm assuming that your wagons do not have the adjustable rear coil overs. But the extra lift you are getting is more than you would get with the adj type jacked all the way. And these are PNP? No mods necessary? Do they say Honda on them?, haha with grinder in hand :brow:

No they dont say Honda on them, no mods are necessary and yes available at pnp. They bolt right on but you must use a spring compressor. calebz yes we need to figure out a way to raise the front end a bit. I'm thinking about installing some strut spacers if that would work.

back.jpg

I have a little somthing in mind for that as well:brow:

basically it would be similar to a BYB lift in the front but only 1 1/2 or 2".

I have be collecting some various types of square tubing. I plan to make an adaptor to fit on top of the strut. this will not only drop the strut but will add a little more neg. camber and caster.

then of course the spacers to drop the cross member and associated trany/driveshaft mounts. have not decided on how to best do the steering linkage. (thy sell some bad arse little steering joints for hot rods)

I considered spacing the motor to keep it the same as the chassis but I dont think the CV joints would like that much.

What I meant by PNP was plug and play, sorry.

Also, the other question I asked was if you guys had the adjustable rears coil overs or not. But after reading some more, and the updated info, I'm guessing you do and are replacing the spring (hence the spring compressor).

What are you guys paying for the honda springs at J-Y's? I ask because up here they tend to be quite expensive if they've even got the parts, and I've got a huge discount on new springs from NAPA. They list for $81 each, but they should be about half that for me.

Even if it costs more, would it be worth it to get new springs that haven't been on the road for almost 20 years?

I paid 35$ for 2 at pick and pull. dont buy the whole strut. just get the spring. I know its not the best but I unbolt the bottom of the strut and then the retainer nut while hiding on the oposite side of the car. it gets loose with out causing too much problem. dont do this unless you fully understand where things can go.