Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Alittle work done to my bumper...

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:19 PM

Since ive had this bumper (almost 2 years now) ive never really put a good coat of paint on it. I primered it when i got it from Soobme, and good thing I did, no rust has ever developed. I got my order from JC Whitney (some off-road lights, and other goodies for another post) and i figured if I was going to mount these lights, it would probably look better on with a fresh coat (or 6) of paint.

So I pulled the bumper, and sprayed it last night. Put the finishing touches on today and mounted my lights up:

Posted Image

I kinda think the lights look better mounted below the tabs, in front of the bumper. They will be my driving lights since EA81 headlights SUCK... i figured this will get a better projection and maybe protect them alittle. We'll see.

here's another shot :)

Posted Image

I also swapped my grill for a '83 and removed the badge. I dig that look alittle better than the honeycomb grill.

Next is my rack.
-Brian

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:43 PM

Yeah - 83 grills all the way. I've confused a couple folks with that mod. :cool:

GD

#3 northguy

northguy

O.C.A.L. Life Member

• Members
  • 4,352 posts
  • Chugiak, AK

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:59 PM

That's nicer than a Mudrat bumper.:lol:

#4 SuBrat84

SuBrat84

What's REALLY going on???

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:05 PM

Looks good B! Let's go run over some trees!! :banana:

#5 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:14 PM

Funny you should say that Northguy. I sent the sketch to Mudrat 1st, to have him build the bumper... and he said it would take too much time and too much work. So I sent the sketch to Soobme and he was happy to do it for me. Kinda glad I dodged that bullet, but unfortunatly John accepted the sketch for my rear bumper. Which is now available on his webpage :mad: and ive never seen the one i paid for.

But... enough of that. All i gotta do now is run some wiring. And I wanna do alittle painting to my fenders.

-Brian

#6 Jibs

Jibs

Wonder Triplets Activate

• Members
  • 1,720 posts
  • Reno

Posted 20 June 2006 - 10:41 PM

Lookin Good!!

#7 Mike W

Mike W

• Members
  • 704 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:00 AM

Nice bumper, looks good Brian.
I kinda like the debadged grill.
Hey did anyone ever notice that if you removed the horizontal slats on the grill, you'd be left with an eight-slot-grill? Man that'd be a whole slot better than those seven-slot-grills!

#8 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:03 AM

I have an aftermarket 4 slot chrome grill. It wasnt made for the Subaru, but it looks like it will look real good. Has no frame tho, and if I mounted it... it would expose alot of radiator and the support. I was gonna cut the center out of the honeycomb grill, mount the chrome grill in it, and mount it up that way... but i'd rather spend all that time and energy painting my new rims :)

I was also going to paint the gril and headlight bezels red to match the hatch. But I remember how much flak i caught when i painted the grill on my old '83 Wagon a few years ago :lol:

-Brian

#9 soobmater

soobmater

Got Mud?

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  • South Bend

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:27 AM

looks very very good brian. nice work :banana:

#10 scoobyclimbs

scoobyclimbs

Attack of the madaxeman..

• Members
  • 862 posts
  • Newberg

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:22 AM

Nice work!:grin:

#11 ManYaiK

ManYaiK

I miss my SVX :(

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:52 AM

Sweeeeeeeet.....wonder how one of them would look on my '87....hmmm...

#12 nicky nighteyes

nicky nighteyes

top billin'

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • Berkeley

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:53 PM

i vote for painted grille, go for it!
I am partial to the honeycomb myself, in fact i swapped out the stock one on my 83 for one. But thats a personal preference. My roommate is all about the debadged 83 grilles.

#13 MachineAgeVictim

MachineAgeVictim

Civilized 4 Wheel Drive.

• Members
  • 358 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:51 PM

looks good and beefy, I don't know about have the lights that low, especially with questionable approach angles, btw where's your turn signals? is that ticket worthy up there?

#14 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:41 PM

nice look brian!
HOTT! :D

#15 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 21 June 2006 - 06:24 PM

MAV... SHHHHHH!!!!! So far, i have yet to get pulled over for not having front turn signals. Im in the process of locating some that I can screw into the bumper.
I'll have to be careful when im wheelin to make sure I dont smash the lights. I have some other mounting ideas that may better protect them.

-Brian

#16 Andyjo

Andyjo

I'm Not Austin!

• Members
  • 1,808 posts
  • Windham NH

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:34 PM

I'll have to be careful when im wheelin to make sure I dont smash the lights. I have some other mounting ideas that may better protect them.

Roof :headbang:

#17 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:38 PM

Got other lights comming for the roof :)

6" round, 133watt spotties!! :headbang:

-Brian

#18 scrap487

scrap487

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • Government Camp

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:06 AM

cool... but dont be surprised when you're lights fill with water being upside down like that, cause dont most offroad lights have a drain hole somewhere in the bottom? at least all of the ones i've had do other than the sealed beam ones

#19 scrap487

scrap487

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • Government Camp

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:06 AM

cool... but dont be surprised when you're lights fill with water being upside down like that, cause dont most offroad lights have a drain hole somewhere in the bottom? at least all of the ones i've had do other than the sealed beam ones

#20 TheSubaruJunkie

TheSubaruJunkie

I'M BAAAAAACK!

• Members
  • 1,921 posts
  • Sacramento

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:07 AM

Probably, but i wont see rain for a few more months.

-Brian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users