Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Meet Bluey

WOW!! that car is simply amazing! that must be a 77 right? did you restore it or is that all original stuff?

Hi All,

I am smiling like a proud parent. Thank you for all the compliments. Yup, ’77 DL 2x4, standard transmission. State of the art AM radio, horn and seat belts.

I have had Bluey ‘since 1998. (I have a tomato bisque red ’78 wagon with Ken and Barbie pin stripes down the side before in the early ‘90’s but that had a lot of rust). I saw Bluey (her previous owner called her Sandy….go figure) and left a note on her that I would like to buy her. The owner phoned me back and said he was not ready to sell but would contact me in a year. He did and I did. I am the 3rd owner. The first family (also in California) had her the longest and I think they did have a garage. Kevin, the second owner probably had her for five years here in the city (he bough a Suzuki Side Kick….go figure).

I have no garage and live in a city with smog and lots of sun, fog, wind and rain. What I am trying to say is, yes, she has had cosmetic surgery. A heart transplant too(engine). Everything is original though…she is just being refurbished. In the interior the front dash is cracked & the front seats are quite torn up. The back seat and the head liner are perfect.

I don’t know why but I love driving this car. The world looks more beautiful from behind the wheel. Perfect size for transporting dogs and for car camping.

There are a few things that still need to be improved:

-carb adjustment

-one leak in heavy rain

-heater

…other than that she drives like a dream. I cruse along at 70 on the HW (30 mls to the gallon). Everything works.

Beep beep.

-Amanda

GOOD LORD! That is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Nice pics, nice car -- Welcome.

Bryan

Hi Bryan,

Thanks, it was actually your little photo montage that inspired me to do the same. Nothing like Hwy 1 in your old Suby to put a smile on your face. I am actually quite a Luddite and so this was the first time I used my digital camera & I just used FlickR because I saw that was how you did it. I guess I just stepped into the new millennium.

-Amanda

Amanda- That's awesome- You should bring your car to the West Coast Japanese Calssic Car Show this September -- I'll be there with my little yellow guy and it would be fun to meet you. Here is a link:

http://www.japaneseclassiccarshow.com/

BT

Hi Bryan,

Thanks, it was actually your little photo montage that inspired me to do the same. Nothing like Hwy 1 in your old Suby to put a smile on your face. I am actually quite a Luddite and so this was the first time I used my digital camera & I just used FlickR because I saw that was how you did it. I guess I just stepped into the new millennium.

-Amanda

Hey Amanda, glad to see you found your way to the message board. For everyone else, I have seen this wagon in person and it truly is in great shape.

So anyway, that engine block I got from you finally gave up about a week ago. A little too much water got in cylinder #1 and blew that cylinder out. I was still able to drive it for a little while longer, but alas I had to stop driving my wagon finally when she just wouldent go above 60. I am still around SLO county if you still want me to take care of those carb issues you were having with yours. Its a little busy with summer classes and work right now, but you have my number and give me a call if you want to have me work on it.

(welcome to the message board btw.)

-Mike

looks great!! get that leak fixed, if it's on your feet then it's probably a windshield gasket and there's only one place to get them (look at the top of the Historic Forum)

it's great to see another subaru getting the love it deserves

Yes, the water collects at my feet and passenger side too. However the front wind screen gasket is good ( I think). It was flaring up at the corners so I tacked it down with some silicone.

I recently replaced all the gaskets around the doors (universal type)….but still not totally water tight. Now I must open door to roll up window all the way. I hope over time the gaskets flatten out and becomes a better fit.

It was suggested that the leak could be coming from the air intake vents on the hood and then through heating system. That sounds right too because if I have anything in that little cubby under the glove compartment it gets wet. I will try to fix it prior to rainy season.

Thanks

Amanda

Amanda-

I really like that blue. Its very modern. Is that a color you made or is it from another manufacturer? It looks close to the Subaru blue of that era but it looks muted and less saturated in the photos. I showed it around the studio and everyone was very charmed by the retro/modern combination of the old car and new color.

Where can I find a sample?

BT

Amanda-

I really like that blue. Its very modern. Is that a color you made or is it from another manufacturer? It looks close to the Subaru blue of that era but it looks muted and less saturated in the photos. I showed it around the studio and everyone was very charmed by the retro/modern combination of the old car and new color.

Where can I find a sample?

BT

Hi Brian

I think it is the original color of the car, but you might be correct that over the many years is became muted so that when I went to “match” it we came up with a new color if you know what I mean. Interior paint, that I presume to be original, matches new exterior color.

I can ask the nice guy who painted it for name or number of color…or if you like I can ask him to paint a little test swatch that I could send to you. Let me know.

-Amanda

Hi Brian

I think it is the original color of the car, but you might be correct that over the many years is became muted so that when I went to “match” it we came up with a new color if you know what I mean. Interior paint, that I presume to be original, matches new exterior color.

I can ask the nice guy who painted it for name or number of color…or if you like I can ask him to paint a little test swatch that I could send to you. Let me know.

-Amanda

A little painted color sample would be great. My address is:

Bryan Thompson

c/o Nissan Design America

9800 Campus Point Drive

San Diego, CA 92121

I can reimburse you for any costs involved- Thanks!

BT