Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Southwest meet to BAJA in October???

Ok Southwest people…..

Let’s do a Baja Adventure….

I will be going with my wife and another couple to San Quintin this weekend and I can do some scouting.

So far it’s 30 bucks for full coverage insurance for the weekend.

We are staying at the La Pinta Villa hotel http://www.lapintahotels.com/ in San Quintin.

It’s 84 bucks a night for double occupancy but there is free camping at the beach above and below San Quintin. San Quitin is located 184 miles from TJ border.

A tourist visa is free if you are staying less than 7 days.

I am not sure of activities but I could probably find stuff at the hotel or maybe someone in San Diego can go scouting afterwards.

The Subaru Baja Adventure would probably involve beach camping so the cost would go down significantly. I was thinking of maybe October so that the weather is not too hot but it’s right before tourist season.

What say you???

BW

Ok I just got back from my Baja trip.

I will do a write up and post it in the new gen section, but here is the basic proposal for a SW meet in or around October.

San Quintin (pronounced Kintin) is a small city about ¼ of the way down the Baja Peninsula its about 300 miles from the US San Diego Border. There are pristine beaches w/vehicle access, camping grounds, fishing, kayaking and other activities are available within the three bays. Accommodations for the rugged are campgrounds or RV parks for around $5.00 per person. For those who would rather stay in a hotel, there are places that range from $40-$84 dollars a night. The one I stayed at it is La Pinta hotel at $84.00 a night, but the room overlooked the beach.

Activities: The area has three interlocking bays. There are a lot of fish in the area, you can rent a boat and go deep sea fishing, you can kayak, you can go clamming on the beach for some huge clams. Of course you can also go “Bajaing” on the beach and some of the local roads. Heck going to anywhere requires that you drive down some rutted washboard dirt roads.

I realize that this a for those in Arizona and Nevada face a pretty long drive just to get to San Diego, but my trip was incredible and it would be a great tradition to start w/out South West soobs.

• 2 weeks later...