Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need a little more info for 94 imp DR Swap

JordanR693

Yea i have access to anything and more than nessesary to do this swap now so it is time. I need to know if i use the rear diff off of the ea-82 is that the best choice? and which axles for the front and rear? I have heard fwd Impreza axles will do the job for the rear but havnt heard much on the front how many splines are the axles on the stock 94 imp vs. the ea-82 5speed DR Trans? Will it be a possible task to throw a e or air locker on that 3.9? I was thinking of using my ac compressor for an air locker. I have access to all parts i need for the most part and i just need this last bit of info.

Thanks

Jordan

if there is anything else you feel i need to know feel free to shoot.

Please forget about the air locker for now, it's been discussed here ad infinitum and no one's actually ever done it with stock subie diffs.

As for using the rear diff off of the EA82--it's only necessary if your impreza doesn't have 3.9 gearing already. Check the sticker on your diff to find out.

There is no need to change your rear axles.

It's the front that you need to use the FWD imp axles for. Here's why:

AWD Impreza front axle spline count: 25

4WD N/A EA82 D/R front axle spline count: 23

FWD Impreza front axle spline count: 23

I hope that is clear enough! :) good luck!

You need the good ol' adapter plate too, and most likely a custom driveshaft.

As for air lockers... yeah... you've got some other things to do before you start thinking about that... like building your own machine shop...

FWD imprezas don't have rear axles :lol:

hatch monster's got it all right for the spline counts

you can use your A/C compressor for on board air, for refilling your tires after airing them down, for air tools, etc. but nobody makes an air locker for a subaru.

We trade work for work with machine shops. I work in a performance shop so i think the machining and flywheel redrilling wont be a problem. I will probably just buy the adapter plate. I already knew about those things. I will make my own Crossmember