Ultimate Subaru Message Board

YAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! tax returns!!!

best way to get it to TDC. Pull the number 1 sparkplug and thread it back in two threads or so, enough for air to escape past it. Then take a socket and ratchet (I use a 7/8" socket with a 1/2" ratchet) and turn the engine over. You will hear the air escaping from the #1 cylinder. When the sound of the air stops, look for timing marks on the flywheel because they will be right there. If you see no signs of timing marks in the general area on the flywheel, turn the engine over again. I like to lean over the engine with my face down by the timing hole in the bellhousing while turning it over. Some people have other ways of doing it but thats the way I always seem to do it myself. You can also pull the #1 sparkplug totally out and put your finger over the hole to feel for compression.

Many roads lead to Rome!

I trace the #1 spark plug wire back to the disty cap to locate it's orientation on the cap. Pull the cap and rotate the motor until rotor points to the #1 wire. Look for timing marks as describe above and set on top dead center.

But then I have been told that I do things in an odd manor compared to most people. Nice to have options though, Stumpy

considering that the motor was overheated.how likey is it that the heads cracked,warped,or otherwise unuseable?

The motor didnt die after overheating.I bought my brat,it ran fine.I took it wheeling and I thought I heard a soft pop then it ran horrible.The motor was driven about 30 miles after pop.

I guess most of my worries would be answered after I pulled the heads...