Ultimate Subaru Message Board

can always drop subaru an email, they are good about answering them..

I used http://www.subaru.com/tools/contactus/index.jsp to drop them a line, we'll see what happens. Here's the text:

I was wondering if I could get some information on my engine designation. The owner's manual for the 1993 impreza lists the engine as being an EJ18S; this manual seems to have gone out both in and out of california so it doesn't seem to be a california designation. I thought it might mean single-cam, but I guess not all the EJ single cams have an "S" on the end of the designation. Would it be possible for me to get more information on Subaru engine designation codes, and especially the information on the engine in my 1993 Impreza LS?

I used http://www.subaru.com/tools/contactus/index.jsp to drop them a line, we'll see what happens. Here's the text:

Okay, I got the response back, and it didn't tell me diddly that I didn't already know. They may be quick about responding, but the response is not necessarily helpful:

Dear Mr. Espinoza:

Thank you for visiting the Subaru web site and for your message!

'EJ' = boxer four cylinder. '18' = 1.8 liter. I am not sure about the 'S', but all 1.8 Imprezas sold in the U.S. were single overhead cam.

If you have any other questions, do not hesitate to reply to this email!

Best wishes,

Samir Hasan

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

There are reasons these engines last for ever, they are lazy. You cant just install a turbo on a engine with 225K on it, the rings wont support it.

Subarus have no hidden horsepower or torque. The flow is pretty much maxed out, so even if there was a manifold to buy, i wouldnt recomend it.

Another HUGE power loss is that transmission. Automatics pre 95 just sucked power.

Rev limiter is in the ecu, you cant change that. Auto trannies and turbos have short lives compared to non turbos. YOu need a much lower mileage engine, preferably a turbo with a manual tranny to do what you want.

Translation, buy another sooby thats already a turbo.

nipper

this has come up ALOT today for some reason