Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Subaru wagon, If I turn my steering wheel all the way to the left and then turn it back right I get a pop from the strut on the left side, and you can see the spring jerk. I changed the strut but the problem is still there, I think it must now be the mount is this one of the symptoms of a bad mount.

Could be the mount. Could be the way the spring is sitting in the strut assembly - if you don't put the spring back exactly the way it sat in the rubber seat, then it might shift and bind.

Also could be a sign of a bad ball joint or tie rod end. If you beat really hard on anything in there with a pickle fork while changing the strut, this becomes much more probable.

When I had it apart the ball joint looked new so I did not check it to see if it was froze up, I will check when I take it back apart.

Could be the mount. Could be the way the spring is sitting in the strut assembly - if you don't put the spring back exactly the way it sat in the rubber seat, then it might shift and bind.

Also could be a sign of a bad ball joint or tie rod end. If you beat really hard on anything in there with a pickle fork while changing the strut, this becomes much more probable.

Nipper, the mount seemed to turn fine when I had it off but their was no weight on it then, I am going to get a new one and try it. Thanks again for the tip about taking the stop and tail lights out one at a time to find out why the dash lights came on when I stepped on the brakes. I found that someone had put a 1156 bulb where a 1157 should have been, one has two contacts where the other only has one.

i vote for the strut mount (the thing on top of the strut). It has a bearing in it that may be seized.

nipper