Ultimate Subaru Message Board

differences between 2wd and 4wd???

I believe ALL front rotors on ALL EA82 cars are the same.

WIth regard to the clutch...I have a 2wd XT turbo 5spd, it uses the same clutch set as any 4wd EA82 car, even the XT6. I dont know for sure about the L series EA82 cars, but this is what I know...

2wd, non-turbo Leone/Loyale use the 7 inch clutch (7 and 7/8 to be exact, IIRC) and 23 spline axles.

2wd, turbo XT's use 25 spline and 8 (8 and 7/8) inch.

4wd non-T Leone/Loyale use 23 spline and 8 inch clutch (from what I have seen)

ALL 4wd Turbos use 8 inch clutch and 25 spline.

It seems like all XTs have 25 spline and the large clutch, but i have not confirmed this on the non-turbo XTs.

XT6 uses 8 inch and 25 spline.

*note this listing is for 5spd trans ONLY*

For Autos, I have yet to see any 2wd or 4wd that uses the 25 spline. My GL-10 when it was an auto 2wd had 23 spline. Ofcourse, i have no clue about different T-converters.

just the info i was lookin for, i knew someone would have better insight than me :D

i do remember when i bought the parts that the flyheel and clutch were bigger than a n/a because its a turbo.. and i seem to remember someone sayin an xt6 clutch is the same..

so i thought that since both cars are ea82T and 5-speed that the parts would interchange.. only difference really is one tranny is d/r 4wd and one is 2wd.. and i knew about the spline difference between n/a and turbo cars..

thanks WJM

• 12 years later...