Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

cant find it in the book

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 7point62fmj

7point62fmj

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • Mondamin

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:55 AM

Ok I am trying to use my idots guide for my subaru to help me fix a leak that I have in my rear diff where my main drive shaft meets it.
But the only thing the book shows is how to take off the drive shaft. It does not say any thing about a leak where the drive shaft meets the diff. My friend belives that there is a seal that I need to replace. So what I need to know is if there is a seal and the part #. Or is there a page # in the book that shows how to fix the leak. Or point me in the right way to finding it.
In till then I am going to go back to the search button and look agin.
Oh I have a 87 brat gl 4 speed.
Thanks as always:burnout:
John

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:12 AM

If you take the driveshaft bolts out and drop the shaft off the diff you will see a large nut. Take that off and you should have access to the old seal - remove it and match it up with a new one by the numbers on it, or go to the dealer for the seal.

Frankly - easiest to just snag another diff.

GD

#3 7point62fmj

7point62fmj

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • Mondamin

Posted 25 June 2006 - 02:29 PM

I live in the mid west and it really is not that easy to find parts..
Thanks for the Info Dis order. Help full as always:headbang:
so any body want to give it a shot what the part number is for the seal:confused:

#4 [HTi]Johnson

[HTi]Johnson

Head Trauma, inc.

• Members
  • 1,512 posts
  • Coburg, Or.

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:21 PM

Frankly - easiest to just snag another diff.

GD

How so? You still have to remove the drive line to replace the diff, and then the axles, hanger and 2 nuts in back.(not to mention that the seal is less than $10 and differentials go for at 3 times that amount, unless you're lucky)

Replacing the seal should just involve taking drivline off and a nice impact gun.

BCA Part # 1173 Is the seal, I think, is it called a pinion seal? Again, it RockAuto has come through with it! They pay me for these plugs, but good service gets good reviews. click here for the direct link to the part.

Hope this helps,
-Justin.

#5 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 25 June 2006 - 05:52 PM

Replacing the seal should just involve taking drivline off and a nice impact gun.

Yeah - shouldn't really be too hard. Just a lot of folks don't have impacts, and that nut in particular is large. If you do it with the wheels on the ground you might get a breaker bar on it.

GD

#6 7point62fmj

7point62fmj

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • Mondamin

Posted 25 June 2006 - 07:51 PM

I do have a impact. One last thing. I was told if I tighten down the nut to tight that my gears would wine (for the rear diff) but I should be able to find the specs for toruqe in a haynes.
Thanks MR Hit and Disorder.
You have all been realy helpfull
:drunk: to you

#7 Silent Bob

Silent Bob

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:24 PM

I do have a impact. One last thing. I was told if I tighten down the nut to tight that my gears would wine (for the rear diff)
:drunk: to you

That's the catch, that nut sets the preload for the pinion bearing and overtightening it will cause your differential to self destruct rather quickly.

The basic procedure involves measuing the amount of torque it takes to rotate the pinion yoke/flange BEFORE you take anything apart. Then remove the nut and yoke or flange and replace the seal. Reassemble and then tighten the pinion nut carefully in small increments, measuring the rotational torque until you reach the amount you started with originally. You will need a beam-type torque wrench that measures inch-pounds.

-Bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users