Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1992 Loyale Front Speaker Size (question)

Hey everyone, anyone know what size the stock front speaker (no rear speakers) is on a 1992 Loyale ? I measure the speaker guard, and it measures around 4 1/2 inches.. So I assume the speaker would be a 5" speaker... thanks in advance!

Edit: Thanks all for the replys, From doing some reading on the forums here, I believe a 6.5" would fit just fine, which makes me happy :clap:

Speaker size is measured by the diameter of the cone i believe. If the "frame" diameter is about 4 1/2" then your speaker is probably a 4" speaker. But 6 - 6 1/2" should fit in there just fine.

Edit: Duh, you measured the guard, not the frame. I'm going to go with your front speakers likely being 4" .. but could be 6" ..

Thanks for asking this question!

I'm currently troubleshooting my speaker problem (no sound from right front speaker) in my '93 Loyale wagon.

I pulled the door panel off and the speaker crumpled (if that's a word) into dust. Time for a new pair, I think!

Nice responses, gives me a lead on what to buy.

previously I installed 5" infinity Kappa speakers with little modification in an old 85 wagon.

my current wagon(87 gl10) has 6 1/2" infinity component speakers. they were a pain to fit properly. required some serious triming and bending. not all that fun.

the 5" speakers sounded just fine and were simpler to instal

My GL had factory 4" in the front and 5.25 in the back. I dropped a pair of Infinity reference 4" in the front and they sound pretty good and I'll drop some 5.25's in the back and likely some 6x9's in the rear hatch door (wiht back seat and rear powered by a moderate sized amp). Good sounding carfi on the cheap.

Upgrading the speaker wire can be a real improvement in sound as well as applying something like dynamat to act as a sound deadener. FYI 12 gauge 2 conductor lamp cord is the same thing as "premium" car speaker wire and a good deal cheaper.

Kevin