Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1992 Loyale Front Speaker Size (question)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 lonil

lonil

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Tuttle

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:16 PM

Hey everyone, anyone know what size the stock front speaker (no rear speakers) is on a 1992 Loyale ? I measure the speaker guard, and it measures around 4 1/2 inches.. So I assume the speaker would be a 5" speaker... thanks in advance!

Edit: Thanks all for the replys, From doing some reading on the forums here, I believe a 6.5" would fit just fine, which makes me happy :clap:

#2 Davalos

Davalos

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 431 posts
  • Ann Arbor MI

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:23 PM

I have 6" Bostons in my 1990 loyale Wagon - Front & Back Doors ... I think it depends on the mounting. There is plenty of lateral room because of the door cubbies.

#3 SuBrat84

SuBrat84

What's REALLY going on???

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 25 June 2006 - 03:31 PM

Speaker size is measured by the diameter of the cone i believe. If the "frame" diameter is about 4 1/2" then your speaker is probably a 4" speaker. But 6 - 6 1/2" should fit in there just fine.

Edit: Duh, you measured the guard, not the frame. I'm going to go with your front speakers likely being 4" .. but could be 6" ..

#4 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 25 June 2006 - 04:06 PM

The *new* infinity reference speakers are now thinner than they used to be - they fit more applications now. I think I used 5" ones in mine.

GD

#5 erik litchy

erik litchy

Leadfoot

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • Peoria IL

Posted 25 June 2006 - 06:59 PM

i fit the 6.5" by hours of trimming the ring and drilling new holes

these are a perfect fit though http://www.crutchfie...=065S65RC&g=400

#6 Marthanna

Marthanna

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • AUSTIN

Posted 25 June 2006 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for asking this question!

I'm currently troubleshooting my speaker problem (no sound from right front speaker) in my '93 Loyale wagon.

I pulled the door panel off and the speaker crumpled (if that's a word) into dust. Time for a new pair, I think!

Nice responses, gives me a lead on what to buy.

#7 Davalos

Davalos

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 431 posts
  • Ann Arbor MI

Posted 25 June 2006 - 09:50 PM

Those Bostons are a little different than mine, but mine slipped right in - I don't think I broke out the nibblers at all ... unlike the rear...

#8 SuBrat84

SuBrat84

What's REALLY going on???

• Members
  • 1,520 posts
  • Tucson

Posted 25 June 2006 - 11:37 PM

I pulled the door panel off and the speaker crumpled (if that's a word) into dust.

I think the word you're looking for is CRUMBLED .. but they are both words. :grin:

#9 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 25 June 2006 - 11:58 PM

previously I installed 5" infinity Kappa speakers with little modification in an old 85 wagon.
my current wagon(87 gl10) has 6 1/2" infinity component speakers. they were a pain to fit properly. required some serious triming and bending. not all that fun.

the 5" speakers sounded just fine and were simpler to instal

#10 kdixey

kdixey

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 26 June 2006 - 02:18 AM

My GL had factory 4" in the front and 5.25 in the back. I dropped a pair of Infinity reference 4" in the front and they sound pretty good and I'll drop some 5.25's in the back and likely some 6x9's in the rear hatch door (wiht back seat and rear powered by a moderate sized amp). Good sounding carfi on the cheap.

Upgrading the speaker wire can be a real improvement in sound as well as applying something like dynamat to act as a sound deadener. FYI 12 gauge 2 conductor lamp cord is the same thing as "premium" car speaker wire and a good deal cheaper.

Kevin

#11 daeron

daeron

Cunning Linguist

• Members
  • 3,600 posts
  • West Palm Beach

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:11 AM

LOL.. i never pass by a vacuum cleaner on the road without nabbing the cord off of it, usually for speaker wire :- )

#12 kdixey

kdixey

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Bellingham

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:22 AM

I just picked up 20 feet of vacuum power cable at the local recycle building materials store for $1 yesterday for the same thing.

:lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users