Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whatever became of the Star?

i was just looking at that timeline..............it says that the 1st year of the brat was '77.........wasnt it 78' cuz if not it must have just been in japan....right???

No,it was a mid year entry.

Here's a little story.

I bought a Brat cloth cover and the owner told me he was coming up from some military camp,etc. in NJ and they were rolling the first Brat out in the USA for sale.He pulled in and bought it on the spot.First one,so they told him.

This is right near S.O.A. back in Penshauken or however you spell it.

And the year was 1977,so he said.

I'm a bit confused by the headlight treatments of the ff1/star carline. From what I've seen, all the G models had bezels around the headlights. The Stars did not. However, the bezels weren't limited to the G models. Looking at the brochures, I see a mix of bezeled and non-bezeled headlights for both 1970 and 1971 ff1 (non-G, non-Star designation) models. The brochures appear to all be from SOA, so I'm assuming they are all US market cars. Can anyone shed some light on this (no pun intended!:lol::grin::banana:)?

I might have answered my own question. The ff1 ad with the non-bezeled headlights is RHD. It's also posted on another forum as a '69. Obviously, it wasn't a US market car. I am curious about the Star, though, since the brochure has '71 printed on it and it was published by SOA. Were they even sold here in the US, or were they sold in other countries in this hemisphere, such as Canada, Mexico, etc.? Living examples of ff1s are very scarce, but they can be found. A google search for the Star, however, comes up empty handed.:-\

I might have answered my own question. The ff1 ad with the non-bezeled headlights is RHD. It's also posted on another forum as a '69. Obviously, it wasn't a US market car. I am curious about the Star, though, since the brochure has '71 printed on it and it was published by SOA. Were they even sold here in the US, or were they sold in other countries in this hemisphere, such as Canada, Mexico, etc.? Living examples of ff1s are very scarce, but they can be found. A google search for the Star, however, comes up empty handed.:-\

R&T mag road tested a US Star in the sept, 69 issue.

I call NOT photoshop.

1. Paint overspray on the dump bed

2. Transparency on the rear "windowlets" is too good, and the paint matching where it was re-sprayed on the rear quarters is too bad - not to mention they made custom side moldings but didn't paint the silver stripe on them.

Clearly someone's attempt at an EA82 Brat, but no one good enough with photo shop to figure out the transparency of the rear windows, and the bed overspray pattern would be bad enough to mis-match the paint color, and not do the silver stripe on the moldings. Definately not a photoshop....

GD