Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Free car extravaganza!!!!!

No this is not an add for a free car give away. This is a post regarding my free car. passed emissions this morning!!! Whoooo hooooo after sitting for a year! Not a bad car, I really like the indepentdant suspension and the fact that it shifts in and out of four wheel drive with ease. Unfortunatly I am having some overheating problems with the car at about 50 mph. The water pump is new and the radiator is new, I have a new thermostat on the way. At what temp is the electric fan supposed to kick in, with the temp guage in the middle the fan was not on. Hmmmm, the motor in the fan has continuity but I did not get any continuity across the terminals at the temp.switch (mind you it is possible that the fluid was not hot enough. Any thoughts?

well the temp here in seattle got up to 90 today and as far as I am concerned. That is way to hot, way way to hot. Now if I were down soulth on the coast of Mexico and had many beers and a cool ocean breeze 90 would be ok but not here tooling around town. Really I'm a low 70's type, but enough about me.... I have a new thermostat and a temp switch for the fan, after I install these new items I will try to burp the system better.. I guess any special subie ea82 cooling burping techniques I should use?

IIRC, fan's temp is pretty high (202-ishF, with a cutoff around 195F). Guages read radically different, so hard for someone else to guage what is "normal" for yours.

Temps in our region are expected to peak at 92 degreesF; previous record was 88. Many of us here are kind of heat wimps, and this is too hot too soon in the Summer.

Want some real fun? It was just a hair over 90º in Belfair, i was outside, in the sun, torch cutting and welding. Oh yeah, laying on blacktop to boot.

It's a bad thing when a cold shower feels warm.

Make sure that if the fan does come on, it's turning the right way, if it's blowing out through the radiator, it will cause overheating while moving. Also, make sure that there is a t-stat in it, I like to run a 180º in mine, if there isn't the water travels through too fast to pick up enough heat, and too fast through the radiator to reject the heat it does pick up. This becomes an issue at speed more than sitting still.

Put in new therom stat and fan switch, I'll ceck the viscous fan when its hot to see if it is operating correctly. I put in a thermo that operates 10 degrees C. cooloer than the old one, I also filled the system through the thermo stat hole in hopes of getting air out. Will keep you all up to date. I think that filling the coolant system partially through the thermo stat hole has merit.. Thoughts?

Definitely may be thermostat.

I took my electric fan completely out a year or so ago, it's still out, and it makes no noticable difference unless the AC is on (I don't use the AC, so no problem). and this is Phoenix, 109 today.

If I remember correctly, when you turn the AC on, the electric fan circuit is completed, and it should start up.

So Ididn't need to buy a new fan switch!! Damn, wonder what I ended up paying for that thing, anyhooo took the car out for a spin and it stayed about a quater of the way up the gauge the whole time... Not as warm as I would like the engine to get but It didn't over heat!!! Wonder if this thermostat is faulty of the 10C difference in operating temperature is responsible for the COOL temp