Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone know what the VW Golf diesels are like?

Phizinza

Just wondering... It would be cool to put a 1.9L turbo diesel in my Brumby. I know that they are long, and prolly heavy though :(

But the torque! Mmmm. Anyone know how they drive. What sort of power they have vs normal "light truck/pick-up" diesels?

Or did the US never get the 1.9L Turbo diesel?

Bit be a big ask, but. Has anyone got any info on sizes of these engines? Like how long, wide, ect.

I was thinking you could use two radiators either side of the engine.

Though it's all just "thinking" at the moment. Would be nice and interesting having a diesel. Oh, any idea on how much they weight?

i know they are a sweet drive. You'd need diesel gear ratios in your tranny to make use of it.

Probably not feasable. Subaru will be launching their own flat4 diesel in 08? Euro market tho. But if you're rich, you could import one.:drunk:

Hello everybody, im from Europe-Slovenia, so i can give you a little information about vw diesels. For the first thing, forget about transplant, you have far more superior engine in your subaru than vw has. Diesel engines are heavy as hell (built from iron). They do have a lot of torque, but in a very limited rev range (1500-3500). If you´d like to stick it in you would have to modify the whole car, replace the fuel pump, fuel lines,... Bottom line it doesent pay off. People here buy diesels mostly because of the expansive fuel. :mad:

If you want to know anything else just ask. (sorry if my english is a little ˝rough˝)

Hello everybody, im from Europe-Slovenia, so i can give you a little information about vw diesels. For the first thing, forget about transplant, you have far more superior engine in your subaru than vw has. Diesel engines are heavy as hell (built from iron). They do have a lot of torque, but in a very limited rev range (1500-3500). If you´d like to stick it in you would have to modify the whole car, replace the fuel pump, fuel lines,... Bottom line it doesent pay off. People here buy diesels mostly because of the expansive fuel. :mad:

If you want to know anything else just ask. (sorry if my english is a little ˝rough˝)

I see what your saying, but I would only do it for the "Offroad" ability it would give me. See, having torque at 1500RPM would be SWEET in a lifted (badly geared) subaru. I don't think I would do it to my car though. But doing it to a rock crawling buggy would be fun. Maybe use a nissan T-case, with some sort of gearbox, soild axles, and a small diesel engine?

And your english is fine mate, if anything I have more trouble understanding Aussies (in the real, and on the internet!)

It would be nice if the whole world got nice clean diesel like Europe does.

http://www.haywood-sullivan.com/vanagon/TDI/

scroll down to the "links" and look for the CAD drawing.

The dimensions, basically, are:

VW 1.9 TDI dimensions

Oil pan to upper intake is approx 29"

Wide side to side approx 23"

Bell housing to front of engine 21"

it WILL fit in the engine bay of an EA82..

but the crank sits a lot lower than in a Subaru. You'd almost certainly want to opt for the Vanagon oil pan to let you tilt the engine 45deg to gain top clearance, and you might have to lower the transmission (bad for a crawler), and you would definitely have to reinforce the crossmember, maybe even make one from scratch..

I've been looking into this (biodiesel!!!) and I honestly don't know if it would be practical because of the trans height and the extra weight.

Bit be a big ask, but. Has anyone got any info on sizes of these engines? Like how long, wide, ect.

I was thinking you could use two radiators either side of the engine.

Though it's all just "thinking" at the moment. Would be nice and interesting having a diesel. Oh, any idea on how much they weight?