Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Might seem like a dumb question...

Johnnyboy

Hey guys and gals,

I already have a EA82T in my 83 brumby, with the AWD 5 speed out of an RX, but i now feel i need something a little more...

I'm going to go the way of the EJ20 turbo. My question is this, What is the main difference between a 93-99 Impreza EJ20 turbo and a 91 legacy EJ20 single turbo.

It's just that looking around, you pay a fortune for a donor WRX, but a donor 91 legacy GT or RS is very cheap for a complete car. Does it come down to quad cam and DOHC?

What sort of HP can i look to get with mild mods out of a Legacy EJ20 Turbo, will it still be respectable?

The later engine is an evolution, better heads,slightly different block, turbo, cams, etc and so on. http://www.clubsub.org.nz/forums/index.php is a good place to look around for info. It will eexplain the difference between the various EJ20 engines.

The early engine will still be very respectable, they have good broad power, peak about 158Kw for the manual from factory from memory, and the auto about 10Kw less. Auto engines should have slightly higher compression and a slightly smaller turbo = better bottom end/less top end/more suited to auto box. Either can be modified the usual ways and everything has been done before so you can learn from others mistakes. And it will be good value for money, they are almost given away at DVA's.

Ok, good answer thanks.

Something else you might have an idea on, is often you can pick up the 90's turbo legacy's which are crash damaged, BUT this often means the cam belt has broken during the crash.

Is this a life threatening thing for these motors, or are they zero interferance motors and a replacement cam belt is all thats needed if you're lucky.

As i understand the EG20G up to 1996 is non-interference, but the EG20H/EG20R etc 1996 onward are interfernce motors. They still use the same cam belt but the valve angles and design is quite different. The early motors have rockers, the later ones are direct cam over valve as is normal for most dohc designs. Beware broken cam pulleys etc as well, you can afford to be picky when looking for an engine. I had a complete driving RS a while back, stolen and recovered that went for $500 at turners. A couple of weeks ago a twin turbo auto wagon went for $1100, but that was damaged down the side and still had a good front on it so thats why it was worth more.

the turbo legacy's came with a closed deck 2.2L engine. It was the nicest block one could get for a long time. It was designed to be a turbo motor and even had piston oil squirters. With enegine management, bigger injectors and an larger turbo, they could be run at 24-27 psi as daily drivers. Search rs25.com for more info. Very nice block.

It does have a few cons:

-stock heads were very restrictive.

-Required aftermarket engine management(stand alone).

Today with the 2.5L STi block, the 2.2 is less desirable, considering guys are making good reliable power on them(on the 2.5 that is which people thought might not be possible when the block first appeared.). There are more engine management options available not requirering full stand alone management and the headaches that could arise from that. Also, the extra displacement allows for more power and more downlow grunt.

If you plan on doing a simple swap...stick with a stock wrx motor. If you wanna build something sick, go with either the 2.2T or the 2.5L sti. I myself prefer the 2.2L. Its of better construction and is more rare than the 2.5L. Thats just me though.

the turbo legacy's came with a closed deck 2.2L engine.

The EJ22T was only available in North America '91 to '94, all other Subie EJ turbo engines were 2.0L, and now the newer 2.5L. The early 2.0s were closed deck (tell '95 I think).

Gary

I think i'll be going for a EJ22 non turbo for the brumby at this stage, mated to a EA AWD D/R box via an adaptor. I have a line on a reasonably priced motor, but no loom or ECU for it.

How hard is it going to be to get a ECU and loom? does a 2 litre ECU work?

I'm pretty happy to go with a basic after market ECU if i have to.

But i now want the EJ20T for my EA81 coupe, but i think i'll certainly be buying a complete car, so i can look to transfer running gear , gearbox / motor etc

The EJ22 we got here is an opendeck block i believe, but that wont be an issue if you arent turbo.

I have a complete running NZ new EJ22 engine in a car here that im struggling to find a use for now i have 3 DOHC EJ20s.... do you want the electronics off that ? Im near Palmerston North. I think it would all fit in one box.