Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to avoid a blown head gasket?

Hi all, this is a great board and I come here every time I have an issue with our 97 legacy gt and I always find an answer. However, I have a question. My wife drives our gt all over the south east and I was wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent the head gaskets from blowing? The car has 144000 miles and is going strong, but I dread the day when she calls from some small town saying the car is dead. Thanks, Dean D.

97 Legacy GT 144000 miles

camshaft oil leak/timing belt 80,000

Rear seal/clutch 115,000

Another tuneup/right front axle 144000

Guest nuburu2

Frankly, with the history of failures of our generation cars (BD/BG w/Phase1 2.5L), your GT's mileage,and in view of your concerns for the spouse driving the car long distances, as does mine, bite the bullet. Arrange to have the heads reconditioned, ie; valve guides, grind, surfacing) Go ahead and do the T-belt again, water pump; oil-pump reseal, maybe a clutch if MT, fluid flush/replacement if not. Buy some peace of mind! And did I mention that it'll run like the way you thought you remembered it did!!!!:rollin:

My $.02 !!

Glenn O

98 GT Wagon

120K miles with fresh H-G's

Guest remarcable

I drive through the southeast quite a bit and I have the same worries as you do. The heat & humidity seem to precipitate mechanical failures.

I carry a CB radio, cell phone, fire extinguisher, engine oil, gear oil, atf fluid, and a pre-mixed jug of 50/50 water/coolant.

(I also keep some other goodies around such as extra tools and a full size spare along with an air compressor and tire patch kit. I also keep a first aid kit, LED flashlight, a blanket, and some old towels that I originally stuck under the spare tire to muffle noise. )

I prepare to be stranded whenever I leave the house, or try to. I've taken to carrying my bicycle when possible.

One thing you can tell your wife is to watch the temp gauge and to turn on the heater and pull over as soon as possible if the needle jumps above the normal range. Quick thinking could save the inside of the engine.