Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Std Transmission and Factory Shop Manual

Hi

[i was in the wanted category but when I signed in to post I didn't notice I was not redirected. How do you edit a post to put it in the right category?]

Looking for a 4 speed transmission for 1984 GL wagon. I don't know much about Subarus but you can shift into 4 hi and lo with a shift lever just below the stick. The current transmission is grinding into 3rd and it is getting worse quick.

I am also looking for a factory service manual. I prefer those over Haynes and Chilton types.

Shipping to 83826 Idaho. We are many miles from decent wrecking yards so I thought I try the board and see what might pop up.

Thanks, Dave

Searching the board would yeild a lot of info - best to check it all as I might miss a thing or two.

You basically just need the trans, and the driveline (different length). The driveline for the 5 speed is also a two peice, and the center "carrier" bearing affixes to the transmission/driveline tunnel with a couple bolts. The mount obviously isn't present on the EA81 body, so a mount must be created - I've done it simply with a couple of 4" peices of angle iron with holes drilled for the bolts.

Then you just need to replace the clutch disc with a 5 speed disc (different spline counts on the trans input shaft), mount the transmission, hook up the 5 speed shift linkage, and use the 5 speed console if you desire a clean look on the interior - or you can just shove the 5 speed linkage into the 4 speed console with a tiny bit of cutting. There is also a board member that makes a "conversion" linkage setup that will make it look completely stock if you are doing a restoration quality setup.

It sounds more difficult than it really is, and it's very worth the little extra work for the added reliability, and the smooth shifting 5 speed. As an extra benefit, the low range is lower too.

GD