Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 under steer problem

Am I the only one who has GROSS UNDER STEER in loose gravell? ('85 turbo wagon) Or is it just the slight lift and tires? I would like to try rally some time, but not untill I can figure out how to make the car rotate through the corners:eek:

Any input on this is welcome. ( I would like to turn now...)

Put a few bags of concrete in the spare tire area :) that will take care of it.

But for real, Ken is right. Get rid of that welded rear end. Its pushing your car through the turn. And if you only have 1 CV in, then that one tire is pushing the car at all time in the rear, not much fun for racing.

Some things to try....

Enter the turn off-throttle. create understeer, then give it some throttle to create alittle oversteer and have the front end pull through the turn. hard to explain, but pretty much it just comes down to alot of practice. My brat has ALOT of understeer, but after I put the 15" pugs with 205/60's the car i havent had much trouble at all.

-Brian

Originally posted by soobme

Am I the only one who has GROSS UNDER STEER in loose gravell? ('85 turbo wagon) Or is it just the slight lift and tires? I would like to try rally some time, but not untill I can figure out how to make the car rotate through the corners:eek:

Any input on this is welcome. ( I would like to turn now...)

We're talking gravel right? :banana:

Approaching the turn, twitch the wheel to the inside a bit to set up an oversteer slide, then use the gas to modulate the slide.

What kind of tires 'ya using on the gravel? You might need some more tread ... I know my half worn 'all season' tires on my XT will swim like a fish on the gravel ... very squirmy ! :eek:

John Wilke

Milwaukee

(I need to find some time to work on my XT ! :boohoo: )