Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'78 DL wagon............yes!!!

im looking at a wagon thats in pretty good shape......no rust, straight body, Ea71 w/ about 100k on it, 2wd, $$$250!!! but...basically its pretty sweet..............in time im gonna need somethin to wheel,...........how much work do u have to do to convert to 4wd??

D, find a 4wd one already.

-Brian

p.s. find something thats '82 and newer.... they will have 1800cc and dual range. Just ask JB how bad it sucks to wheel with single range :lol:

i kno i really want a 4wd one....but im picking it up tomorrow...................thats not going to stop me from getting(or creating) another 4wd........ill take all the other advice u gave me if i decide i want to convert it........but mainly, my goal is to fix it up, sell it for good money, and then have that much room to buy and fix anEa81.

Cool beans, Dalton!

We'll have to see this beast next time we have a mini-meet/wrenchfest:headbang: .

Brian's right though, it's MUCH easier to just find something that's already 4WD...as you know, EA81's are the good stuff: relatively plentiful around here, and can be had for cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

True brian.. Dual Range is nicer.. but at the last show I had no problem doing what everyone else was doing with my 1.6 liters of fury... In all honesty, my Gen 1 feels WAY more offroad capable (in stock form) than my EA81 did back in the day...

D, find a 4wd one already.

-Brian

p.s. find something thats '82 and newer.... they will have 1800cc and dual range. Just ask JB how bad it sucks to wheel with single range :lol:

Haha Bryan...

What's wrong with it?

Do realize though, crazy D, that most cars that apply to this forum are gonna be pretty rough. Back in the 70's, most of America was still thinking to themselves "What the hell is a Subaru??" and those that bought one only cared about getting from point A to point B as cheaply as possible. So they let the cars fall apart, and moved on when they didn't feel like dealing with them anymore.

Cars like the one I have fit that description pretty well (I hate to say that, but it's true :() Cars like the one Bryan has, well, those are the exception :cool:

Back in the 70's, most of America was still thinking to themselves "What the hell is a Subaru??" and those that bought one only cared about getting from point A to point B as cheaply as possible. So they let the cars fall apart, and moved on when they didn't feel like dealing with them anymore.

That anecdote rings true and brings back great memories! I remember when my dad bought our first Subaru; a 1973 GL Coupe (red with the black graphics.) He called it a "sa-BAH-roo" until my mom finally corrected his pronunciation. We used to laugh about that a lot. Great Arizona car - It's probably still out there somewhere, rust free and sun-baked to a crisp but still running.

Regarding the wagon - I will learn more about the car in the next few days and keep you posted.

BT

That anecdote rings true and brings back great memories! I remember when my dad bought our first Subaru; a 1973 GL Coupe (red with the black graphics.) He called it a "sa-BAH-roo" until my mom finally corrected his pronunciation.

BT

My poor 79 wagon was 4wd and all, and it ran great right to the end when it would no longer pass WV inspection due to rust. (found out later that i went to the wrong inspection station IYKWIM:brow: ) thought that little side window in the rear was so cool:D With all the ground clearance it just loved rough terrain:)

Wayne

For some reason people still pronounce it "sa-BAH-roo" in New Zealand. I like MAV's wagon, it would be cool to see more of those around.

Funny, my folks pronounced it that way for years, too! It wasn't until the '76 was almost dead and we were in our teens that we corrected them!:lol:

Pics of the car: In my opinion, it looks like a nice, easy restoration project.

I found another wagon closer to home. Enjoy! BT

http://mail.google.com/mail/?view=att&disp=imgs&th=10c9194939a0c563

Haha Bryan...

What's wrong with it?

Do realize though, crazy D, that most cars that apply to this forum are gonna be pretty rough. Back in the 70's, most of America was still thinking to themselves "What the hell is a Subaru??" and those that bought one only cared about getting from point A to point B as cheaply as possible. So they let the cars fall apart, and moved on when they didn't feel like dealing with them anymore.

Cars like the one I have fit that description pretty well (I hate to say that, but it's true :() Cars like the one Bryan has, well, those are the exception :cool: