Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Soobie wont crank right up..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Roamer

Roamer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Queens

Posted 01 July 2006 - 01:10 PM

On my 96 LSI wagon I am getting intermitant starting issues, here is the deal, when I go to start the car I turn the key but nothing happens as if the car has no juice, but the radio and everything works fine, then I go to turn the key again and the car starts and runs fine. I never thought anything of it but it seems to be getting worse, now I have to turn the key 3 or 4x before I get a response from the car to start. I am thinking it might be corroded battery connectors or signs of a starter going bad? I have no CEL on, any thoughts or input is appreciated..Thanks in advance.

#2 ()__1337_CRAYOLA__()>

()__1337_CRAYOLA__()>

Soob Finatic

• Members
  • 621 posts
  • Burien/Des Moines

Posted 01 July 2006 - 01:23 PM

When you turn the key to where the starter should engauge is the radio and everything else shutting down or do they just keep going, they should shut off for the time you try to engauge the starter to where you let off. maybe it is your ignition switch

#3 Roamer

Roamer

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Queens

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:05 PM

[quote name='()__1337_CRAYOLA__()>]When you turn the key to where the starter should engauge is the radio and everything else shutting down or do they just keep going' date=' they should shut off for the time you try to engauge the starter to where you let off. maybe it is your ignition switch[/quote']

No they do shut-off for the time that I am trying to engage, and come back on when I turn the key back.

#4 99Impreza

99Impreza

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • N. Seattle

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:18 PM

Check the voltage at the starter crank wire. It's the little wire on the starter solenoid. Have a budy check it while you turn the key to crank. Crank the key a couple of times to make sure. If you have voltage there consistently (it should be 12v) then check to see if you have excesive resistance in the wire from the battery to the starter solenoid and the battery connector to the battery terminal. If all that checks out you could need a new starter. :headbang:

#5 Olnick

Olnick

Ol' Subaru Guy

• Members
  • 2,568 posts
  • Honolulu HI

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:47 PM

Could it be the starter contacts? Common problem, relatively cheap and easy fix. Try a search under "starter contacts."

#6 pamike

pamike

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • Jersey Shore, PA

Posted 01 July 2006 - 05:45 PM

my 90 did the same thing and it was the starter. shortly after it started that, i went to start it and it wouldn't stop cranking even with the key off. i had to pull the battery cable off to stop it. i replaced the starter and everything has been fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users