Ultimate Subaru Message Board

On my 96 LSI wagon I am getting intermitant starting issues, here is the deal, when I go to start the car I turn the key but nothing happens as if the car has no juice, but the radio and everything works fine, then I go to turn the key again and the car starts and runs fine. I never thought anything of it but it seems to be getting worse, now I have to turn the key 3 or 4x before I get a response from the car to start. I am thinking it might be corroded battery connectors or signs of a starter going bad? I have no CEL on, any thoughts or input is appreciated..Thanks in advance.

When you turn the key to where the starter should engauge is the radio and everything else shutting down or do they just keep going' date=' they should shut off for the time you try to engauge the starter to where you let off. maybe it is your ignition switch[/quote']

No they do shut-off for the time that I am trying to engage, and come back on when I turn the key back.

Check the voltage at the starter crank wire. It's the little wire on the starter solenoid. Have a budy check it while you turn the key to crank. Crank the key a couple of times to make sure. If you have voltage there consistently (it should be 12v) then check to see if you have excesive resistance in the wire from the battery to the starter solenoid and the battery connector to the battery terminal. If all that checks out you could need a new starter. :headbang:

my 90 did the same thing and it was the starter. shortly after it started that, i went to start it and it wouldn't stop cranking even with the key off. i had to pull the battery cable off to stop it. i replaced the starter and everything has been fine.