Ultimate Subaru Message Board

electric to manual choke?

um the weber in my brat doesnt seem to be able to communicate with the wires controlling the choke.come to think of it im not sure if the choke actually ever worked.The question as my title so perfectly puts it, is it possible to convert a weber 32/36 electric choke to manual choke?If so how?thanks in advance.

The "wires controlling your choke" should just be simple power and ground, as all it does is power a heating element that heats up the bimetal coil inside. (I am making an assumption that the Weber is like every other auto-choke that I have seen.)

If the choke has only one wire, run it to power; if it has 2 run one to power and ground the other. Once this is done, wait a couple of minutes and see if the choke releases; if it doesn't, the choke has issues.

Yes, you should be able to switch from automatic choke to manual, and you might even be able to find a manual choke kit at your auto parts store that can be adapted. (They are harder to find these days since it is illegal to make this mod.)

Since the weber isn't technically legal either, they are easy to find - common swap actually. Redline makes a kit for it.

But as has been pointed out - you just need fused ignition operated power for the choke housing - little bit of wire, a relay, and a fuse will cost less than the manual kit, and it's nicer to not have to worry about the choke.

GD

I doubt they make a "universal" kit for the weber - just head down to your local VW import shop - I'm sure EMPI makes a kit - just ask around. They are common as dirt.

GD

Put uni choke on holley 5200 works great. So as the holley 5200 is a copy of 32/36 it should work. got mine at autozone for 15 bucks.

Pick up the yellow pages dude, and search for VW. VW's ARE popular enough to have their own tuning shop. Just gotta locate one. Call every VW parts house in the book until you find one that carry's a conversion kit for a Weber DGV series carburator.

Shouldnt be hard to find one.

-Brian