Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brake ?'s '86 BRAT Update 07-07-06

Had to swap some different tires onto the front of the BRAT due to a belt busting in one of the "old" tires. When I pulled the tires off, I found that the brake rotors were solid ones vs slotted like my other '86 BRAT had. Hmmm. I thought everything from '84 on had vented rotors on the fronts.

Got some new slotted rotors here, along with new brake pads for it.

Now, do I have to change calipers also? I'm thinking yes here. What about the mount bracket for the caliper? Am I thinking right that someone said that EA-82 brake parts will fit on the EA-81? (Got an EA-82 Sedan here that I'm striping out).

I remember reading of things on this, but I couldn't find what I wanted using "Search". Probally not wording it right.

Been collecting new parts to rebuild the frontend on this BRAT, just waiting on balljoints now. Need to know if I need new calipers also.

Thanks......

That is kind of strange..... but here goes.

86 *should* definately be vented. The change was 83.5, so some 83's are vented, some are not. My 84 wagon, and my 85 brat are both vented. I had an 83 turbo wagon a while ago, and it was vented also - later 83 production.

You'll have the change the calipers, bracket, and rotors - calipers are wider and bracket is specific.

EA82 parts are unfortunately too big - the EA82 front discs are larger.

www.rockauto.com has some decent prices on rebuilt calipers, or you could get the $40 (or less on-sale) kit from harbor frieght with the tools to reassemble them, and get a "rebuild" kit from the same site.

Are you absolutely certain that someone didn't just put the non-vented rotors in by mistake, and the calipers are just way extended.... I'm not sure that will even work, but maybe they just changed the rotors and used the wrong part number.....

GD

No real clue on origin of brake parts. Bought/traded things for this BRAT, and this is what I have. Been sorting things out as I go, and this was the 1st, "that ain't right", thing I've come across.

86subaru, (Jim Wood), is who I got it from, and he got it from somewhere on the Easternside of Ohio. Jim didn't do anything much as to wrenching on it. I don't think that the person he got it from is a Memeber on here, so I can't ask questions of them.

(edit)

How would I go about finding if these are vented/not vented calipers? Can someone give me a measurement to go by, as in space between the "U" of the calipers. Brakes have been iffy, (but work), on this BRAT. They're not like the '82's or '84's were/are, they just could be better in my opinion.

Well, apparently,,,,,, I have the wrong rotors, but the right calipers.

Was wanting to work on the BRAT over the 4th, but Mother Nature and Father Time conspired against me.

Anyways, driving home tonight, I gets about 1,000 yards from my drive and hit the brakes for the Stop sign there. Sudden jerk of the wheel followed by a couple of clunks, and the sound of something tinkling down the road. Meanwhile, brake pedal is heading to the floor, FAST, and I ain't slowing down. AaaaaUuuuuuuuGggggggg!!!

I quickly hit 1st gear and let out the clutch, bring me to a fast crawl. Luckly, no other cars on the road, so I made my right turn towards the house. Got in the drive and killed the engine while in gear. I stopped 3 feet from the front of the XT-6. E-brake was non-functional... Not good..

Did a quick look-see of the front wheels. I have no outer brake pad on the passenger side. Oh Joy!!!!!! Haven't pulled wheel yet, so not sure if inside pad is there. No brake fluid showing anywhere, so that's a good thing for now. Means I didn't blow the caliper apart.

Looks like I'm stuck driving the XT-6 for the next few days. Darn.....