Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anybody have any idea on how to remove drum brakes? I need them removed so I can replace wheel bearing.

I bought PDF manual and it simply says, "Remove Brake Drum from Assembly".

On the next page it goes on to say, "NOTE: If it is difficult to remove brake drum, remove adjusting hole cover from back plate, and then, turn adjuster assembly pawls using a slot type screwdriver until brake shoe separates from the drum."

Note: I only need the removal of the drum brakes to get to wheel bearing. Does this mean I have to take apart drum brake, or will the whole thing come off as one piece?

Note: I got the cover off. I learned how to release the parking brake;-)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

plarsen111

If you have the drum off get you a small pair of locking vice grips and you can take the the whole assy. off with this one tool, except the fluid line to the wheel cyclinder. Just make sure and not take the other side apart, as you will need it to look at when you go to put brakes back together. However you will need bigger tools and a haynes manuel to take hub and spindle off. And most important you will need to break loose the axle nut while the brakes are still on the car unless you have an impact, maybe you can break it in park but I like to use the brakes also to help hold it.

Also if you have that drum off it is a great time to learn how to retract those shoes for removing the drum just in case that other one dont want to come off as easy. You can make a really good tool to hold that adj. lever off of the star wheel out of a small pick by bending the tip up at a 90 degree angle or buy one with the angle already on it. I noticed you have been trying to gather information for this job here and the other board, stay after this you will learn and then you wont have to go out and pay someone else when you need something.

Anybody have any idea on how to remove drum brakes? I need them removed so I can replace wheel bearing.

I bought PDF manual and it simply says, "Remove Brake Drum from Assembly".

On the next page it goes on to say, "NOTE: If it is difficult to remove brake drum, remove adjusting hole cover from back plate, and then, turn adjuster assembly pawls using a slot type screwdriver until brake shoe separates from the drum."

Note: I only need the removal of the drum brakes to get to wheel bearing. Does this mean I have to take apart drum brake, or will the whole thing come off as one piece?

Note: I got the cover off. I learned how to release the parking brake;-)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

plarsen111

A note for future readers: sometimes you thread a bolt into a threaded hole in the drum to pull it off. The bolt pushes against the hub flange and forces the drum off. If you search, other threads here will tell you the same thing.