Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sand Rail - time to go from VW to Subaru

Man...

Just got a new 2276 Air cooled VW engine built. less than 4 hours of play time and she blew a rod.

Not going back to that mechanic again.

So now I want somthing powerful, light and reliable.

Looks like I need to get an EA81

That is what I gather from all of my searching on the net.

Most rail owners that are using subaru engines use the ea81.

anyone have any comments or suggestions before I get going with this project?

Any help is appreciated.

ANT

how much power does a 2276 vw motor make, cause one could hardly call an ea81 powerful. IMO you should go straight for an ej18 or ej22. The only difference would that you would have to do electrical work for the fuel injection on the ejxx motor.

The ea81 motor would be carbbed which is simple to hook up, and the motors are really cheap, but you are only looking at <100hp

With the ejxx motor you will get >100hp, fuel injection, and near the same reliability.

from the reading i have done plus all the stuff i have read on this board plus other rumors i'd hav to definatly vote the ea81 or the ej22

ej22 you get way more power but with the ea81 there is no electronics nothing to break no timing belts etc.

however you get around double the bang for your buck with an ej22 and those things are hard to kill

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

ej2.2 wieghts in at 300lbs ready to run at 130hp

ea81 80hp ready to run weight 175lbs

2.2 = 50hp more = 125lbs more in weight if it was me i'd skip 2.2 and go right to 2.5 weight in a 315lbs for the 15lbs in weight diff you get 35 more hps.

if weighty matters ea81

if it don't 2.5

I don't think they weigh that much. I can pick it up myself.

Also, many older 2.5's have headgasket problems. There are several years of engines you will want to avoid.

I bought my 2.2 for $125. It has ~150K on it, and I'm constantly hitting the rev limiter and dumping the clutch, and that engine loves being abused. I like the 2.2.