Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing Belt Change - ej22 (NOW COMPLETED)

Hello all. Got a quick question. My mother-in-law's '96 Impreza is past due for a timing belt change, with about 95k miles on the ticker. The dealership is offering a $210 special for the belt change. This seemed like a pretty good deal to me. What do you think? Should the water pump be replaced at the same time, even if it seems ok? How much extra should it cost for the water pump? If this were my car, I would do the work myself, but as I haven't yet changed my own timing belt yet ,(and it is overdue. oh, well. that's the beauty of non-interference.) I don't feel confident doing the work. I've always been kind of reluctant to work on other people's cars anyway. Afraid I'll break something. *yikes*

Well, thanks in advance.

$215 is a great deal. they'll likely try say...well you need this and that once you're in there.

water pump is a good idea but 96 is non-interference so it's *less* risky. but overheating a motor will toast it just as quick as an interference engine on broken belts.

water pump, oil pump and cam seals are best done concurrently.

I am well versed in the stealership tricks, and as such, she has been warned to "just say no." :grin: I guess it probably depends how much they charge for the water pump/oil pump and their apparent conditions. She does not have a lot of extra money to throw around, so we will see. It says in the offer that they will "inspect" the oil pump, water pump, and seals for wear, and replace if required (for extra, of course.) This car has always been driven pretty gently, but it is getting up there in miles. We will see.

One other question. Does the ej22 have hydraulic lifters? Cause it sure sounds like it when you start it after sitting for a while. Just taps/ticks for a few seconds, then goes away. Not really concerned, just curious.

210 is almost a give away price. i bet when they get to the cam/main/oil pump seals (which should be done) and the waterpump, they charge for the part AND the labor to get to them, getting her back up in the proper or higher price range.

Be careful. Also call the BBB to make sure this dealership is ok.

nipper

210 is almost a give away price. i bet when they get to the cam/main/oil pump seals (which should be done) and the waterpump, they charge for the part AND the labor to get to them, getting her back up in the proper or higher price range.

Be careful. Also call the BBB to make sure this dealership is ok.

nipper

I had that labor charge thing in mind. Probably should call to find out, although its hard to diagnose lying-through-the-teeth syndrome over the phone.:mad: This dealer has always seemed pretty honest in the past though, so I don't think there is too much to worry about. Thanks for the input. If price seems to high, I guess I could gather up the confidence and a USMB write-up or two and do it myself.

I vote for doing it yourself. With the radiator out, you have lotsa room to work around. The ony thing that typically makes the job difficult is that the crank pulley sometimes is reluctant to come off.

**** ******!

I don't like to leave any loose threads, so... (Don't you just love my pitiful puns?:rolleyes:

Job completed yesterday by the dealer. $320. She opted to just replace what needed it for money reasons. Anyway. It got a new belt and oil pump seals. And new coolant. The car now runs smoother (:confused: which I am a bit puzzled about...old belt getting loose, maybe?) and cooler. I guess the new coolant did it some good. Anywho, this dealer gets a B+ in my gradebook. I wish they hadn't charged so much for the extra labor, but....oh well. They did a nice job, and I feel better knowing the t-belt isn't ready to snap at any moment. I think I'll be doing mine myself though, for cost and self-assurance.

I don't like to leave any loose threads, so... (Don't you just love my pitiful puns?:rolleyes:

some of those puns are rough ;)

Well the fact that it is running smoother is an indication of a worn timing belt. Running cooler yes new coolant can do that (when all the mud comes out with the old coolant).

Now that was a good price, can he do mine?

nipper