Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ball Tearer Brumby

Ball Tearer Brumby

lifted from AutoSpeed Magazine http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_2970/article.html

One of Australia's most impressive AWD drag machines - and probably the world's best Brumby!

World's fastest Subaru Brumby?

2.4-litre EJ-series four

Currently 498hp (372kW) at all fours

Soon into the 9s

Immaculately presented

Occasionally street driven!

The engine comprises a 2.2-litre EJ-series block with a 2.4-litre aftermarket stroker kit, forged pistons and rods and modified DOHC heads. Oversize valves and custom cams give extra breathing capacity. The engine is built with an aftermarket stud kit and all the good bits you’d expect in a drag motor. A PWR aluminium radiator and Davies Craig 10 inch thermo fan keep it running cool.

An off-the-shelf exhaust manifold and custom up-pipe connect a Garrett GT35/40 turbo combined with a 42mm external gate. With boost set to a max of around 25 psi, the heated charge air is chilled by a PWR barrel-style water-to-air intercooler. Interestingly, the water lines for the water-to-air ‘cooler pass through an esky which is mounted behind the cabin - Nathan throws in a couple of bags of ice to help reduce peak intake air temps from around 45 to 10 degrees Celsius. Stainless plumbing routes through the engine bay and a single TurboSmart blow-off valve is installed.

The intake to the turbo comprises a large pod filter on the end of a mandrel bent length of tube while exhaust gasses exit via a 3 ½ inch system with twin 3 ½ inch straight-through mufflers. Interestingly, the engine runs a custom intake manifold that – while it appears similar to the stocker – provides perfectly even length runners and a custom plenum volume. A big-bore billet throttle ensures there’s plenty of airflow into the intake manifold.

Controlling the fuel and ignition systems is a MoTeC M400 programmable ECU with data logging and various other options ‘unlocked’. Rochester 1000cc injectors suckle from custom rails teamed with an AEM pressure regulator and you’ll find large diameter braided lines extending back to the Magnafuel pump teamed with twin Bosch 044s pumps. A custom alloy fuel tank (with extensive internal baffling) is mounted under the tray. The CDI ignition system is controlled by the MoTeC and Mercury Marine ignitors are employed. Tuning (and much of the drag setup) has been performed by the experienced team at Advanced Performance Centre is Brisbane.

2970_8mg.jpg

2970_9mg.jpg

rigoli brat>that brat

Bulldust!

Where in the world can you drive a car with no air cleaner and a great big turbo sticking THROUGH the hood?

This thing is slick, without the stickers you could drive it anywhere.

And pull 10 second passes.

Bulldust!

Where in the world can you drive a car with no air cleaner and a great big turbo sticking THROUGH the hood?

This thing is slick, without the stickers you could drive it anywhere.

And pull 10 second passes.

:rolleyes: i still stand by my earlier statment. :)

Where in the world can you drive a car with no air cleaner and a great big turbo sticking THROUGH the hood.
I've seen the TRP Brumby in a video (in Autobarn) driving on a country (looking) road. I also have a video of it on a dyno getting 495hp.

But I think they are both cool. I just wouldn't do that hinda thing to a ute, :-\

EDIT!:: I love the dash in that thing... I want to do mine like that :) hehe