Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need good tires on an 05 legacy sedan

I just bought the car last night...it has the factory RE92's on it...I would like a tire that will do good in the snow and last a while...I know that is a tall request....plus...if any of you guys can tell me the in and outs of my car ...something I should know...please do....it has 14k on it and its an auto...thanks in advance...G!

I put Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads on our 2002 Outback wagon last November (2005). Have been pleased with them so far. Did not have much snow this winter in the Baltimore area, so were not able to give them a good test. Even our place in the mountains of West Va had little snow. They have been fine in the rain. Only drawback (very slight) is that they are a bit "mushier" in turns than the OEM Bridgetone RE-92's, probably due to softer sidewalls. Bought them based on reviews at tirerack.com

The Michelin HydroEdge we put on our 97 OBW are decent in snow and ice (relatively). They now have 63,000 miles and still have 7/32nd tread.

The LGT thread has some other suggestions, some of which cost less per tire, although they don't last as long.

I put Goodyear Assurance Triple Treads on our 2002 Outback wagon last November (2005). Have been pleased with them so far. Did not have much snow this winter in the Baltimore area, so were not able to give them a good test. Even our place in the mountains of West Va had little snow. They have been fine in the rain. Only drawback (very slight) is that they are a bit "mushier" in turns than the OEM Bridgetone RE-92's, probably due to softer sidewalls. Bought them based on reviews at tirerack.com

I put the Assurance tires on our 1998 OBW this spring and have been happy with them. They are very quiet and do very well in the rain. I can't say anything for their performance in the snow beyond what I've read, and that is that they do fairly well. I won't be testing mine since I have a second set of Nokian's for the winter that were absolutely awsome this past winter and got my wife out of a particularly scary situation during a snowstorm at night. Snow+Subaru+Nokians=getting home and sleeping soundly. :)

I had good wear, traction, and stability, as well as a great price on Yokohama Avid Touring. I got them from tirerack.com.

They are for normal driving and are all-season. I had excellent results on snow when the tires were new, but as the tread wore down, obviously they weren't as good.

I began to use dedicated snow tires two years ago for all my cars. Where I live, it is just a good idea.

I like tirerack.com because you have the ability to compare lots of different tires and get real-world reviews. That is something I have never gotten at a tire store. There is no way to tell how well a tire performs based on brand name, price, or appearance, and that is all you have to go on unless you do some research.

Matt

Another vote for the tripple treads, as touring all seasons nothing else comes close, but they arent exactly performance tires either (740 treadwear?)

i have BF Goodridge, but sooo wanted the tripple treads, but at the time didnt have the cash.

nipper

Another vote for the tripple treads, as touring all seasons nothing else comes close, but they arent exactly performance tires either (740 treadwear?)
Unless you live where the roads are icy, in which case the Michelins are better according to the CR study people cite for how good the Tripletreds are. Don't know anything about Tripple treads....

Did your mileage go down, as many people indicate with Tripletreds? The local dealer (who sells both) claims the Michelins are more uniform and quieter. But they cost more so you have to pay to play.

I don't know how long the Michelins will last as it has taken more than three years to get to 63,000.

Garth lives in TN so he doesn't need dedicated snows.

Mileage was negligible difference, if there was I didnt notice it. They've stayed balanced even though I've autocrossed and dropped them to 20 psi for offroading. And the only way I know its raining is I have to turn the wipers on. I've done a few emergency stop tests in some heavy rain and performance nearly as good as a hot dry day. Light snow seemed worse, but still really managable. I'm yet to drive in any deep (more than 3 inch thick on the roads, my area gets the salt instead) snow with them, so I cant say how well they do there.

I still get 350+ miles a tank with them. No matter how slow or fast I drive. I have no experience with the hydroedge though.

I had Toro tires on my 92 wagon when I bought it used. really liked them and replaced with more Toros last year. No complaints, good in snow and rain and did well cross country last summer. Very little wear.

excuse me--- TOYO TIRES!!!