Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does $4600 sound right for a 98 impreza 2.2 wagon with 96000 miles?

It looks to be in decent shape and drives well, even though it is an automatic. Is there anything I should look for in particular? More importantly 96000 sounds like alot of miles and makes me nervous. What is considered high mileage for a Subaru?

It looks to be in decent shape and drives well, even though it is an automatic. Is there anything I should look for in particular? More importantly 96000 sounds like alot of miles and makes me nervous. What is considered high mileage for a Subaru?

figure 12,000 miles a year and its under the mileage.

Find out about the timing belt if its been changed

Take the car to a parking lot and go forward and reverse while making a tight turn (checking for torque bind and front sv joints)

Check to make sure the tires all match

Sounds right for the year if the condition is okay. As said before, check to see when the last time the timing belt was done. Also, it's important if it hasn't been done, to replace it as soon as possible since the '98 engine is interference type. If you wind up doing the timing belt consider replacing the water pump also since it won't last much past 125K (but that's about two more years of "average" usage) and it certainly won't last until the next timing belt change. Your Impreza should last well past150K miles without major problems. With good luck and proper care 200K to 300K is not unusual.