Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Wheel Alignment 91 Loyale

1991 Loyale 4wd

A few months ago I noticed that my rear tires were wearing unevenly. I took it to the Subaru dealer for rear wheel alignment. They told me it was wayout of alignment but that they had fixed it. They did not suggest that I needed any new parts in order for the rear wheels to remain in alignment, although they told me that numerous other things were wrong on the car. Now, 4 months later, the rear tires are again wearing unevenly - although a bit differently than before?

Question: What potential parts need replaced in order for the rear wheel alignment to "hold?"?

Question: What should I tell the subaru dealer when I take it back for repair?

What will really blow your mind is there are no adjustments for rear wheel alignment on a Loyale. The rear has trailing arms, and they are bolted to the control arms, and the "tube" with 3 bolts. Generally if you are seeing strange tire wear in the rear it's because something back there is bent, or the wheel bearings are shot (this would make horrible noises, and probably fail quickly tho). I've seen plenty of bent rear control arms - usually from sliding into curbs and such.

I don't know what that dealer did, but I wouldn't take it back there again.

GD

Unless Loyale's differ from 85-89 dl/gl/gl-10/rxs in rear supension design, according to FSM rear alignment IS adjustable both camber and Toe..those same three bolts that hold the inner and outer trailing arms to each other are where the alignment can be adjusted..according to FSM the relative angle between the center lines of the two arms controls camber and to a lesser degree toe adjustment..toe is more affected by the relative position front 2 back between the two arms..both adjustments affect each other so this adjustment is best done on a laser rack..there is a ghetto way of doing the back but I hesitate to mention it..