Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 manual trans rebuild kits and performance engine building

Is there any kits out there to rebuild the 4spd in my 84 brat......My prob is the reverse is totaly gone.. you put it in relese the clutch and it grinds, sometimes gets stuck in reverse also but no actual gear ingagment.....I have not the money to have a person rebuild it and i have rebuilt manuals in the past so i am sure i can do this......Also what is the name of the tranny in these things

BTW im taken high-performance engines at wyotech and im builden a ea81 what should i do to it.....i wana punch it and stroke it but i dont know if its possable.....im pretty new to the sooby world how bout duel delortos from a VeWe:headbang:

I've only heard one person talking about spinning the sleeves. I am not doubting that it happened to him/her, However, I know of someone who bored their EA81 60 over with no problems for the 2-3 years they owned it thereafter. I would do it. I want to do it if I ever get around to playing with my spare engine. My $.02 Boz

Do believe that .050 over is as big as you can go on pistons. Someone stated that here on the board.

Would tend to believe that if the sleeve spun in the bore during a re-bore, the machine shop operator was trying to make to much of a cut at one time. I've had sleeved engines re-bored before, with no problems.

As to your tranny problem. One wonders if maybe your shifter would be more at fault than the tranny. These things tend to get sloppy shifters with higher mileage.

yes if you spin a bore it is because you are trying to take to much off or your bit is dull.....worked in a machine shop in my hometown and did many engines. I want to stay carbed and was wondering if a 2.0 or 2.2 block would be better for boring/stroking....I know i know no replacement for displacement but i would like to keep the 1800 block so it looks stock sorda......

yes the shifter is sloppy :madder: but i bent it and hammered it and lots of crap i dont think it is the problem, i will soon have it out and disassembled to find out thou....

BTW i wouldnt need to find a crank i will be able to make a stroker crank, sweet huh

Check out the shifter fix in the Ultimate Subaru Repair Manual, it could be part of your trany problem, but you'd be better off with a 5spd d/r.

I think some people use connecting rods from the 1600 to increase displacement.

Won't you need a different cam?

I highly reccomend the Accel SuperStock coil and opening the spark plug gap to .050. Don't use anything but NGK spark plugs.

The biggest restriction on our EA81s is the intake manifold.

Also try to find some EA81 turbo heads, they're supposed to flow better.

After the motor gets broken in, run full synthetic oil.

yea im going to custom grind my own cam and im planning on makeing some custom valve trains parts..was planning on porting and polishing to the extreme and wanting to make my own intake and exhaust........does anybody here have experiance on dual delortos and if they work ok or not.....i dont really like webers but i will use um if i have to.....wy delortos.....im looking for prettymuch one carb a cylinder hoping it will flow that good

c now i was thinking about that to thats why i asked this question....Im not sure right now but i really want to bore it for some reason.....i havent even torn it apart yet so i dont know the specs. i will be looking very closely at the stress factor involved... there is a mathmatical equation based on the metals density that i can run throuh but i have no idea right now ah well when i get done i will post some dyno sheets and then we will all find out how it works