Ultimate Subaru Message Board

strut rod bushings whaaaaaat?

I'm changing the strut rod bushings on my (1986) wagon, and the dealership gave me some that were different from what the stock ones turned out to look like. (i ordered them before i removed the old ones).

The new ones' part number supercedes all the older GL bushings' numbers, which means that as far as the dealership is concerned, these are the right bushings.

The new bushings are in the top row in the picture, the bottom row is the old bushings. The bottom pic illustrates the difference as seen from the sides.

picture0026lo.jpgpicture0057bd.jpg

So, can anyone confirm that these are acceptable for use on an '86 EA82 vehicle? Monstaru said they looked like EA81 bushings, but I saw the years to which the book applied.

IF they are the right bushings, I also need to know which way they're installed.. which sides face each other on their respective sides of the strut rod plate?

This way picture0019at.jpg

or that way? picture0020da.jpg

Thanks guys.

WJM, if you see this, are the Super Pro Bushings available?

SPF2534K# - $TBA (approx $30~$40, these dont officially exist)

Front Strut Bar To Chassis Mount (LEADING ROD)

Kit contains 4 Bushings

To suit 18mm outside diameter shaft (Measure!)

Im gona let you all in on a little secret , i use polyurathane strutrod bushings in my 80's Subarus , now who makes urathane stuff for 80's subes you ask ?

NO ONE ! yet! but i found out that 1970's DODGE strut rod bushings fit SUBARUS and you can get them in Polyurathane + red or black from Energy Suspention the inner hole is a little bit bigger but when you fully tighten it all down they are a tight fit ,

This helps get rid of weel hop and stiffens up the suspention .

The ones i use are 1973 plymouth Cuda' strutrod bushings from Energy suspention .

on my (1986) wagon,
does it matter AWD/FWD? i don't guess it does but dealer gave me FWD sway bar bushings and they wouldn't fit in my AWD.

that plymouth idea sounds crazy...any chance of posting a picture of those? if anyone else tries this, post pic's if you can. just curious, i won't have time to do this any time soon.

I'm changing the strut rod bushings on my (1986) wagon, and the dealership gave me some that were different from what the stock ones turned out to look like. (i ordered them before i removed the old ones).

The new ones' part number supercedes all the older GL bushings' numbers, which means that as far as the dealership is concerned, these are the right bushings.

The new bushings are in the top row in the picture, the bottom row is the old bushings. The bottom pic illustrates the difference as seen from the sides.

picture0026lo.jpgpicture0057bd.jpg

So, can anyone confirm that these are acceptable for use on an '86 EA82 vehicle? Monstaru said they looked like EA81 bushings, but I saw the years to which the book applied.

IF they are the right bushings, I also need to know which way they're installed.. which sides face each other on their respective sides of the strut rod plate?

This way picture0019at.jpg

or that way? picture0020da.jpg

Thanks guys.

WJM, if you see this, are the Super Pro Bushings available?

SPF2534K# - $TBA (approx $30~$40, these dont officially exist)

Front Strut Bar To Chassis Mount (LEADING ROD)

Kit contains 4 Bushings

To suit 18mm outside diameter shaft (Measure!)

yeh the 1st fitment picture is how they fit..I've never seen that type from the dealer..