Ultimate Subaru Message Board

which aftermarket clutch?

Guest RRGeezer

While I'm having the head gaskets done on my '01 Legacy, I'm going to replace the POS factory clutch (out of warrantee of course). Can anyone recommend a quality aftermarket clutch? I don't need a whoopie twang titanium & unobtianium fast & furious racing set-up, just a good solid product that works correctly and will last.

Thanks.

Guest nuburu2

Geezer, To answer both of your questions; Try Steve Barsotti in Newcastle, 916-663-3077. He just did my Head Gaskets, t-Belt, T-O and Pilot bearings and I'm very pleased with his work. He's a REAL Subie guy, specializing on them. While engaged in one of our many Subie-talks he recommended the Exedy clutch.

I would also recommend you consider the PDM-USA transmission snout kit with oversized throw-out bearing. TMALSS, Steve showed me where grooves were being worn on the soft aluminum "snout" of the trans, that the T-O bearing slides on. Actually demonstrated what he was talking about on a trans in the shop, as my car was complete. He told me he thought somebody made a "fix'" but wasn't really familiar with it. I subsequently was turned on to this link by a fellow NASIOC Legacy member;

forums.nasioc.com/forums/...out+sleeve

and another;

forums.nasioc.com/forums/...out+sleeve

I would have done this if aware in advance, but plan to use one when replacing my clutch next time around. Hope I haven't overwhelmed you!!

Glenn O in Roseville.

Guest theotherskip

glenn...

i just pulled off the old throwout bearing from my transmission and cleaned the snout. it looked real good, with only real light wear marks. the center portion of the throwout bearing does not spin - it only slides back and forth across the surface. so i don't anticipate this being a signifigant problem in the future. possibly the grease burned off of yours?

the factory service manual recommends lubricating the snout with a lithium grease with moly in it. i did that, and it appears to very smoothly slide along the snout, with very little play. i took some pictures, and will post them once i get the film developed...

Guest nuburu2

Thanks for the feedback Skip. Since I didn't get to see the "real thing" in question I can only go by what Steve explained to me. I wonder if that's a sign of a failing throw-out bearing, possibly lubrication related, and an explanation for the common symptoms? I think I may get one just for clutch time and be sure to get a look next time to be sure I need it. Kinda surprised there aren't more suggestions.

Glenn O