Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what's wrong with this LSD?***ATT: mcbrat & dr rx***

Did you pull the rear cover to see if someone might have just switch the rear cover onto an open diff. That would be a crewl joke, but it could happen. If it is a real LSD, then it is worth pulling and getting the clutch pack rebuilt or replaced.

ezap- it was a 3.7 lsd

snowman and dr rx- i don't think it had been swapped out, cause it was an rx and had the fulltime 4wd tranny, so wouldn't they have had to swap the tranny out too? unless that's why it was in the junkyard.

mick and rx and any one else- i've never opened up a diff to see what all is involved. how hard is it to rebuild? what should i look for before i spend money to make sure it can be salvaged? i would like to get it this weekend if it is still there and the price is reasonable. help me please!!!

and cole98- you can pull the whole pumpkin and the goodies are in it and can be swapped etc. so either way, depends what you are doin.

Cole98: if you're getting it from a yard, get the whole pumpkin. you have to remove the stub axles, then the side bearing cups before you can pull the LSD carrier...

John: pull both axles off the diff stubs, then see if you can turn the stubs by hand...

there are about 8 bolts on the back cover of the diff that you can take off to look inside. watch the oil though. LSD gear oil tends to be on the stinky side on the ones I've pulled apart.

I've got pics somewhere of the innards. I'll try to find them tonight if no one else has got any....

a LSD carrier will have a solid cylinder (plates inside) that is attached to the ring gear. In the open diff, you can see all the spider gears, etc...

how many miles on the RX. there have been lots of auction where the ad is aimed at Datsun guys, and they claim that since soobs are primarily FWD that the LSD should be in better shape. This is not true. The clutch plates inside are still doing their job whenther you're in 2wd, 4wd or FT4WD w or w/o diff lock. the plates are "locked" until enough of a speed difference (tight corner) where they break loose to act like an open diff.

No, running with an open diff wouldn't hurt the center diff. The center diff is kind of an open diff until it is locked, and it only controls the power going to the rear diff. In fact all of the front diffs are open diffs and that doesn't screw up the tranny.