Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt6 questions

do a compression check and see if there is abnormaly low compression in any of the cylinders. if not, the problem could be as simple as a radiator or thermostat. it could also be more complex than that:rolleyes:

it all depends on how cheap it is, if its over $500, and is likely to need a motor, i`d leave it, i hear those h6s are a real pleasure to work on;)

you want an XT6? buy one of mine.

usually the radiators go bad (they are almost 20 years old by now) and there are no aftermarket sources for radiators...then the dealer wants around $400-$600 for a new one. so it's easy to try and put it off and dump some coolant/block sealant stuff in it and overheating is not good for 20 year old gaskets and seals.

if you ever see an aftermarket radiator for the XT6 it's just listed wrong, it will always end up being a 4 cylinder radiator. which can be made to work, it fits but the outlet and inlet diameters are too small and the fans won't mount up without some drilling/tapping/sheet metal screws.