Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hesitation when cold SPFI

I have this problem for a while now, When the car first started in the moring, it will not idle, you have to add a little pressure on the gas pedal, after a few mins then it will idle, but once I drive off, the engine will hesitation. Also got check engine light( code 24 ) But all this go away when engine is warm. Any advice???

91 Loyale 4X4 5 speed

Pearl, the first problem sounds like a faulty FI coolent thermosensor. It's mounted in the upper rad hose fitting and has two wires permantly attached. First check to see the connection is tight and clean. (do not confuse it with the spade terminal sensor also mounted here, as it is for the dash gauge)

The code is for your air control valve which also could cause the idle problem. This is mounted on the front of the throttle body and has a electrical cable to it, same thing for it's connections.

The ACV is also known to get gummed up and stick, taking it off and cleaning the shuttle with carb cleaner will correct the idle problem if the thermosenor is functioning.

Be aware this sticking will not light the CEL, corroded connections will.

Hope this helps

jim's spfi wagon acts like that. it will stumble off idle the same way a carb does when the accelerator pump is bas. it doesnt have a vac leak though, it has been sitting outside for at least 6 months with no hood before jim got it.

i dont know how it does when warm, didnt run it that long.

but now i have an idea of what to look at!