Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Justy Owners Help

Temp gauge started to climb on me sitting in traffic today. As long as I was moving the temp was Ok. Got home and let it sit. After it was cooled downed, I checked the radiator for coolant level and found it to be OK. Could`nt find any leaks either. I started the car and let it idle until it got to normal temp and watched. The gauge started to slowly climb higher and noticed that the fan was trying to start but was only bumping on and off. I`m planning on running a temporary feed to the fan to verify that the fan motor is good. I think there should be a relay somewhere but I don`t know the location? Also, where is the temp sensor located ?

The fan apparently shares a temp sensor with the ECU, and this sensor, along with the temp-gauge sender, are located on the intake manifold almost directly under the thermostat outlet.

I don't have a good enough manual, but I suspect that the ECU controls the fan, and that there is a relay somewheres.

• 3 weeks later...

All right, I pulled the fan out and ran temporary wires to verify that it`s not the fan. It ran Ok. Next, I went to my shop manual to locate where the fan relay is. Problem is, my manual is for a 89 Justy and I ran into a snag. The electrical drawing identifies it as being in a row with others up under the dash? I unbolted my dash and pulled back for a look-see and found nothing? Anyone know if the 88 models have a relay and where it might be? I am assuming since my in dash temp gauge is working fine that it should be sending a signal to the ECU and in turn activating the relay??? I`m a novice on Auto electronics and could use some advice on which way to go too solve my delimma??? I`m about ready to throw in the towel and wire the fan in direct, but the car runs a little on the hesitant side until the temperature reaches normal. This will be a problem with the upcoming season change... Anyadvice is surely appreciated. :brow:

All right still banging my head with this. In my urgency I pulled the fan thermo-switch out while the engine was a little on the hot side draining the coolant. Took it to the parts store and they ordered one in for me the next morning. I installed the new one and filled with coolant to start. I turned the key and noticed that my temp gauge started climbing and pegged out before I turned the motor over??? Now I`m thinking that I might have cooked my temp sending unit??? I removed it and with my meter, took a ohm reading 2.06. Then I put it in the freezer and chilled it down and took another and it gave me a reading of .577. I`m assuming that its working??? With both thermo switch and temp switch unplugged and turning the key to start position but not cranking the gauge still pegs??? Then I plugged both in and no change. Where am I not looking to correct this problem???

...With both thermo switch and temp switch unplugged and turning the key to start position but not cranking the gauge still pegs??? Then I plugged both in and no change. Where am I not looking to correct this problem???
If it is unplugged and you get a full-scale hot reading, this typically indicates a wiring short to ground. Justys MIGHT have a backwards reading temp-sender, but I haven't heard of that.

Found a instrument cluster from a U-pull it out of a 89. Everything looks the same. Replaced the temp sending unit and installed the instrument cluster. Turned the key to the start position and same results. So I started removing everything and unbolted the dash again. Looked at all the wiring from where it comes through the firewall out to everything and found nothing out of place or smoked. the grounds were tight. While everything was just hanging loose, I hooked up the cluster and turned the key again. GUESS WHAT??? Temp meter was normal. So I started the vehicle and let it run until the gauge got up to the half way mark and back to my original problem. The fan which is just laying on top of the battery/fender, right now is just blinking on and off. So I started gingerly reinstalling the dash and my temp gauge problem has not came back as of yet but I`m still dealing with the fan issue or problem #1. Anyone out there had this kind of frustrating misery before and a solution???

Got everything back together and checked the fuse to the fan again and found it to be blown this time. I replaced the fuse and drove the car for a couple of miles and then I lifted the hood and found that the fan was working like norm. I let it sit there and idle while the fan cycled on and off like normal and the temp gauge never rose above the 1/3 mark. GO FIGURE! 10 days of banging my head against the concrete driveway and still have`nt figured out what happened. But the car is up and running again until the next time. :banghead: