Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pulling the engine..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tidd1340

tidd1340

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • Buffalo,N.Y.

Posted 15 July 2006 - 05:57 PM

Thinking off pulling out of my engine on my 89 gl. It only has 72,500 on it,and I want to do a complete gasket job on it as it has a few leaks,and I want this thing to last. Is this a tough job? Do you take out the motor and tranny(5 speed) a 1 or seperate? Ive done a few v-8's,but never a Subaru..any good tips?

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,280 posts
  • Portland

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:09 PM

If you've done a V8, then it's the same, but you take out JUST the engine, not the combo. Just label stuff, and start taking out bolts - it will all bocome clear. Not that hard - I can have an engine out in about 30 minutes. Putting them back in is the tough part - make sure you put a jack under the tranny, and keep it there. Jack up both, and then support the engine weight with the hoist - unbolt everything and it should slide forward, and up. Leave the transmission jacked up till you are ready to put it back, then just do the opposite. You have to use the jack for the engine mounts to clear the cross member underneath.

GD

#3 Indrid cold

Indrid cold

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 764 posts
  • Kennewick, WA

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:32 PM

Make sure you remove the radiator...... ooops I forgot that one...

A.C., power steering lines can stay intact and just roll back and tie off to keep out of way.

Do a search, see threads below. With your experience you shouldn't have a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users