Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!
|Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.
We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!
Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!
EA81 SPFI Swap Pictures and Progress (56k be warned)
Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:34 AM
Here's an overall shot of the engine bay just to get oriented.
Had to do a lot of work in the area of the distributor, and idle air control valve to get things to play nice. First I eliminated the purge control, and EGR systems (left the solenoids so the computer isn't savy). The ports under the IAC I bent outward and blocked with screws and a dab of ultra gray RTV. The IAC itself I turned around, and used a u-bend bit of PCV hose (no idea what this came from - probably some EA82 carb ASV if I had to guess), a union, and right into the stock IAC hose. Had to remove the front engine hoist hook to clear the IAC with the hose pointing down. Distributor now has plenty of room to fit. The harness for the disty has to have it's metal cover removed from the bottom of the disty to clear the crankcase bolt, and then the modified (more on this later) EA82 disty slides right in.
Slot on the disty had to be enlarged a bit - no problem with a carbide bit in the die grinder (Dremel works if you have one).
Upper radiator hose is interesting - turns out the lower EA82 hose is a perfect fit - just cut about 1/2" off one end. Had to grind away part of the EA81 fan shroud so it would not rub and cut into the hose. Works amazingly well. One of the cleaner parts of the install so far.
For ease of troubleshooting, and wireing, for now I just stuck the fuel pump on the spare shelf. Here's a shot of the messy hoses. It works just fine up front, but it's loud, and I'll be moving it under the car. I have the tank vent line blocked off from when I was running a Weber, and I noticed when I went to fill up with gas, the tank was pressureized (or under vacuum). I'll get a vented tank cap and leave the vent line blocked, or I'll leave the vent line dangling under the car - not sure which just yet.
Close up of the adaptors used to step the fuel pump inlet up, and the return line down.
Somehow I have to shove this under the dash :-\. I have removed everything from the ECU that is not needed. I punched out the pins I didn't need (automatic related, neutral switch, etc) and removed all the wireing for that stuff.
Couple fuse holders I accumulated from various junk yard trips. 80's and 90's GM products tend to have random stuff like these I've noticed. Snoop around the engine bays in the GM section and you will find all kinds of cool conectors, and fuse holders and other sacreligous wireing. These are the fuses for the ignition switch powered circuits.
The ignition switch harness - I tapped into the large black wire - it's hot in run, and that's what is feeding the two above pictured fuses. The blue/red wire on the top of the car side of the connnector that runs to the light green/white wire is the start signal to the ECU. Apparently it needs to know when you are cranking. Anyway, that pin doesn't exist on the car side, so I found a pin on the donor EA82 harness in a plug that was unrelated to the SPFI system, puched it out of the harness, cut the wire, and slipped it into the Brat's harness. The ignition switch already supports this feature - it's just not used by the car. Interesting.... anyway worked fabulous.
Any questions - feel free to reply or PM me or hit me up on messenger or whatever.
Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:39 AM
Posted 16 July 2006 - 05:32 AM
Nice pictures!I really like the looks of how the swap went in.Clean!
I'll 2nd that....
On the upper radiator hose. I found that the hose fit when doing the EA-82 carb intake swap with Weber on my '84 BRAT. Had same issue you did GD, with the hose being to close to the fan shroud. I just bent the lip of the shroud to clear it, making sure I didn't cause it to hit the fan blades either.
When I did the same swap on the '86 BRAT I'm driving now, I had more room at the shroud for some reason, and didn't have to do any modding of the shroud. Maybe a difference in Manufacturing of the hose, don't know.
Just gotta love the Lego-ness of these cars.....
Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:28 PM
Posted 16 July 2006 - 02:31 PM
Can't wait to get this setup on my Brat. Then it'll have to be sold due to moving...:-\
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users