Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this '83 worth it?

Mac

I was driving down the highway and saw someone selling an '83 SW. Probably a DL because it had no power anything. Interior was pretty ratty. Owner said the front brakes were trashed and would need new rotors. Exterior was okay with only slight rust. So I'm thinking parts car. 102K miles on the motor and it runs good but ... the exhaust pipe is loose at the manifold on the driver's side, definite need for gasket, carbon desposits all over the inside of the hood tell me the problem's existed for awhile and I'm thinking that the studs have been stripped from the aluminum, which I think is a BIG problem. $300 is as low as they'll go. Whaddya think?

if the body is straight, then $300 is good. You could either transplant a new engine or fix this one up real nice... and then the interior you could replace. put a couple hundred bucks into it and make it really nice, then sell it for just a bit more.

Or fix it up and drive it like hell!

what GD just said, unless you already have enough parts to make it a project.

i paid 420.00 for my 83 2wd 5spd with a little rust (but very non rusty for my region) and a krinkled quarter.

it ended up with an ea8 motor and 5spd 4x4 tranny, and i dont really have much more into the car than what i paid for it, having the parts already on hand.

and this is what it looks like now, the only thing i relly had money into was oil and fluids, brake pads and gaskets, and spray paint. the lights i already had and the sheet metal i got for free

subaru%20trashwagon.jpg

subaru%20trashwagon1.jpg

subaru%20trashwagon2.jpg

subaru%20trashwagon3.jpg

and yes, that little puddle up front is fresh. but it still made the 2300 mile trip!

i had to refresh some of the paint before i set out. this car has come a long way. you should have seen it with the rickety 6 inch lift......towing a 2 axle trailer with a dead soob on it..........and no brakes 'cept for the parking brake!

and if you think that is something, check this http://usmb.net/gallery/view_photo.php?id=subaru2door

TRASHWAGON4

its the WORLD'S ONLY 2-door subaru wagon. it was the result of a roll-over and a parts hatch. it never saw completion, because someone junked it while i was away. but the 5spd lives on it trahswagon 5

yeah, i first saw that on beaterz.com.

i stole the name, i'll admit, but the install idea in mine came naturally. i had an amp on the ceiing on my 79 pinto(trashwagon3) and my 80 mercury bobcat hatch. there just happened to be enough plywod fitted in my roof to mount speakers.

i would like to build a roof of boom 2 on the gl-10 wagon, since the rear half of the ceiling receses from the sunroof. that wat i will have enough room to mount the speakers magnet up